Review by Darkcloud223

"A great end to probably one of the most innovative series of all time"

Introduction: Okay, first of all I'm a huge fan of the metal gear solid series I've played every game and I've always thought as each new game is made it would be revolutionized and while some aspects may not be perfect; they would be well Integrated. Metal Gear Solid 4 is such a game that blew my expectations as a fan of the series and for once I'm rather sad that this is Snake's final mission since I have grown to the series over the years I've played it. Now on to the review.

Story: While this may seem to be a skeptical opinion despite your tastes Metal Gear Solid 4's storyline is like watching an Oscar movie... I don't want to spoil how great the story is: very engrossing and will keep you hooked until you've finished your first playthrough and should be revisited again. Now, as any MGS fan knows lots of cut scenes and this game certainly doesn't dissapoint in that category... but remember this is the final game and will pretty much sum up all the questions you've been asking in the series and many many plot twists that will leave you breathless. If you're new to the series the creators did try their best to sum up the other games so that newcomers would understand and have general idea... I followed it without any conclusions. 10/10

Graphics: The visuals in mgs4 are breathtakingly stunning and with very low or none framerate issues that you will come across with... with the epic landscape of a battlezone in the middle east just about design in the game is realistic and beautiful to look at. Probably the most visually stunning game I've ever played. 10/10

Sound: The music score in this game is very well done and definitely fits the game quite nicely as you progress through the game. Just about as realistic as you can get. 10/10

Gameplay: The core aspect that makes this game great, epic boss battles, innovative ways to sneak past your enemies, customizable guns and a large variety of them, automatic camo, and nice easter eggs that will keep you busy with this game for a long time. My only gripe is the codec conversations are nowhere near as long or as well done or funny as they were in MGS3. Controls for this game may take awhile to get used to unlike the previous metal gear solid games but once you do it truly is an epic experience that you don't want to miss. Another gripe for this game would be what's not there, more interactivity during those long cut scenes would've been nice and despite boss battles that are very innovative and a challenge a bit more interactivity would've been nice, but there is so much fun aspects of this game griping about a little bit more would just seem a bit gritty. 10/10

Replay: There is much to find and do in this game that it would be very hard to find everything in your first playthrough and you'll either be coming back to the campaign or have fun playing online with other player. The sign up is a bit tedious but once it's done you'll be playing through a nice addition that hideo kojima has made. All in all you'll be playing this game for weeks online or offline. 10/10

Conclusion: I hate to see that its the final game in this epic saga that I've known and loved. Hideo Kojima has created a masterpiece that's a fitting end to our legendary hero Solid Snake and has crafted one of the greatest series of gaming ever told... Despite the fact the game is not perfect and may not be one of those games that everyone will love... but it's a game that fans of the series will love and play for years and offers so many innovations and creativity that I doubt any game will come to topping off any time soon in the future. Thanks for taking the time to reading my review.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)