Review by gryphenix

"PS3 Seller"

I only recently got my PS3, and I have been waiting for a long time for a game that would, by itself, be worth purchasing the system for. Well, folks, we finally have it. After a long and storied history, MGS4 completes the tale of Solid Snake in epic and flawless fashion.

MGS4 has some of the best gameplay I have ever encountered. The stealth aspects are great, especially the OctoCamo feature, which allows you to blend seamlessly into the environment. CQC makes a return from MGS3, with no changes whatsoever, as does the camo index. The biggest imporvement here, and the reason for the perfect score, is the shooting system. Readying, aiming, and firing the weapons has never been so fluid in past MGS games, and this makes combat much more fun for the run and gun types out there. Overall, the game makes it easy to choose between stealth or combat, and makes both highly enjoyable. Also, as a side note, we finally get a crouching position, which allows for slower movement and higher stealth.

This is the best part of this game. The story is compelling, the voice acting is superb, and you truly get the idea at times that you are watching a movie rather than playing a game. I was held rapt by most of the cutscenes, despite some long runtimes (one clocks in at over 45 minutes), and it was this wonderful storytelling that made this game so enjoyable.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10

The graphics are phenomenal, with great character models, excellent detail on the camo and environment, and movie quality cutscenes. Harry Gregson Williams returns to do yet another MGS soundtrack, and does a wonderful job. Pulse pounding songs drive boss battles and combat, and moving tracks will bring you closer to the drama of the cutscenes. Several songs from each MGS game are also included in the soundtrack, which is a great feature. Finally, the sounds of gunshots and other battlefield noise are well recorded, and heighten the sense that you are truly in the midst of an epic battle.

Playtime/Replayability: 10/10

Not the longest game in the world, but the game lends itself to multiple playthroughs, given the amount of secrets one can unlock in the course of the game. The addition of Metal Gear Online is a great one, and with the release of the full game later this year, one can expect to get much more playtime with this game.

Overall, this is, in my opinion, one of the greatest games to come out, ever, on any platform. I highly recommend it, even to those new to the MGS universe.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)