Review by chuckwaters1

"Metal Gear series goes out on a very high note"

The Metal Gear series is one of the most notable and successful gaming franchises in the history of gaming. In my opinion it is easily in the top 5. While this is called Metal Gear 4, it is actually not the fourth game in the series. However it is the official debut of the series in Next Gen and on the PS3.

I will be honest I am NOT a huge fan of this genre of games. The whole ‘hide and sneak' format to gaming really does not appeal to me all that much. This game is the exception to that rule for me. In Metal Gear Solid4: Guns of the Patriot we find Solid Snake in the final chapter of his life literally. This version of Snake is much older than we have come to expect, I will not give away the reason why but it is addressed during the game.

Graphics – 10/10 – I will go on record as saying that there is no game currently on the market as detailed, beautiful, and vibrant as MGS4. The backgrounds and character detail is absolutely stunning. This all works well with the new getup that Solid wears (Octo Suit) that allows him to blend in with his surroundings and become invisible to his enemies that lurk about.

Sound – 10/10 – The soundtrack, voice acting, and overall sound of this game is well done. There is even throwback music from the original MG game on the NES. I also like the fact you hear movement and actions from far off. I remember hearing voices, ducked to hide and saw enemies moving by me without notice.

Game play 10/10 – This is where MG stands out. I truly love the new controls. It makes the game very easy to pickup and play right away. Within minutes of opening the game I was in battle and enjoying every minute of it. The game allows you to switch up costumes for Solid and even customize weapons to your liking.

Overall – 9/10 – I know this does not add up to my overall score. The only thing I can knock MG on, and it's not even a real knock, is the long cut scenes. Many are well over several minutes, but they go a long way in explaining things and giving history on the game/series. It's a necessary evil in my opinion. The only thing I would change is to make more of them playable or interactive. How cool would it be to control Raiden during one of his battle scenes?

Long story short, if you are not a fan of the series this is still a must have if you enjoy quality gaming. The replay value is high as there is an online component that lies somewhere between Call of Duty 4 and Rainbow Six 2 Vegas. I have several hours logged online and it's very entertaining.

A must buy!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/30/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)