Review by nknknnk

"This is beyond being a game, a movie, an experience. This is Snake."

One word. Story.

This game does not have extremely good or ground breaking gameplays, It's the story that makes the game a must buy for every single gamer out there.

Every conversation, every cutscene contains limitless detail that will make you go "wow". Whether it's Sunny playing a PSP on the Haven, resistance member looking at a Japanese idol poster, or the flashbacks you see during cutscenes; they're all very Hideo-Kojima-esque.

What so epic about this final installment is that you're not playing the usual prototype ultra strong hero. Snake is old. He'll have back pains, he coughs like hell when he smokes, he needs meds to stop the seizures. You get the feeling that it's our hero's last dance on the big stage. Old Snake against an army of elite soldiers.

Without spoilers, I can just honestly tell you that the last stage of this game, is the most dramatic, most superbly-presented, the most intense media that I have experienced in my life. The graphic, the voice-actings, the music, every element combined perfectly and became The Mona Lisa of video games.

As mentioned above, the gameplay isn't the strong point of MGS4, but Kojima manages to throw something new at you from mission to mission and keeps things fresh.

Gun fights are far less frustrating than previous games, but camera sometimes make shooting enemies from close range a headache; something that auto-aim can fix though.

Controls aren't overly complicated but can seem daunting for gamers that have no experience with the MGS series.

Drebin's Shop is a nice addition. You can sell guns to earn points to buy weapons and ammos. It's easy to access and the weapon selection is huge. But sadly, the customization on your weaponry is fairly limited.

Bosses are somewhat easy and lacks strategies.

It's gorgeous. From the war torn middle east to the revisit of Shadow Moses, everything feels just right. Only gripe I have with the graphics is that sometimes, during cutscenes, the characters would appear emotionless.

Music/ voice-acting/ sound effect:10/10

MGS2 main theme, Old Snake's melodramatic guitar tune, Snake Eater; everything you ever need to listen to are here.

Explosives, bullets flying above your head, Gekkos tromping around; all in Dolby 5.1 surround sound. And as for the voice acting, you have David Hayter as Snake; that's an automatic 10/10.

Replayability: 10/10

Plethora of easter eggs, incredible details that you'll surely miss out on the first few play throughs, and dozens of emblems to collect. I've beaten this game a bunch of times on different difficulties, and on each play-through, I would discover something new. This really shows how much of a genius Hideo Kojima is.

So please, I beg of you. Buy this game if you have a PS3. And if you don't have a PS3, get one for this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/01/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)