Review by Fadesofblack

"The Definitive Playstation 3 Exclusive"

I believe this is a game that needs no introduction, released on June 12th only on the Playstation 3, Metal Gear Solid is one of the biggest exclusives to grace the Playstation 3 and could by quite possibly the biggest game of the year.

Like every other Metal Gear game in the franchise Metal Gear Solid 4 is easy to pick up and play. The controls are very intuitive and slightly different but at the same time if you've played any of the other Metal Gear games you will feel right at home. The controls are razer sharp. It also supports the Dual Shock 3 for owners of that controller. The motion controls are generally downplayed and you may not even notice they are in the game and there's only one particular use that I know of for the motion controls of the Sixaxis.

As always Metal Gear Solid 4 is an extremely cut scene and story heavy game. However given the style of past Metal Gear games this comes as no surprise. But needless to say it is one of the greatest stories ever told in a video game. Full of drama and suspense it is nothing short of breathtaking. I do not however wish to divulge into the intricacies of the plot for the people who haven't yet played it.

As far as graphics go...this quite frankly is one of the absolute most gorgeous games I've ever played. Everything is modeled with a amazing attention to details. Everything about the world is a thing of rendered beauty. The sound is as well perfect. How could it not be. Being one of the only games to support Dolby True HD with 7.1 uncompressed channels. It's clean and crisp and while maybe a little sparse the soundtrack is excellent.

Now if I had to complain about anything it would be the games length. This game can easily be beaten in under 5 hours if you skip all the cut scenes. Amusing you don't which if it's your first play through you shouldn't it comes to around 15-20 hours of length. But again a very sizable amount of the game's length is taken by cut scenes. But at the same time while also containing a starter pack of Metal Gear Online and numerous items to unlock the game has a large quantity of playability.

This is one of the greatest games of this year and possibly this generation. It's a typical Metal Gear and while it won't win new fans that didn't like older Metal Gear games it is a absolutely breathtaking experience for fans.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/23/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)