Review by blahblahmanzor

"Simply the Best."

I will spare you the run down\outline of the story.

So I will get straight to the meat.

Graphics: 9.8/10

If you have an HDTV you will see why this game is praised for its looks. Clearly the best looking game on the market at the moment (save Crysis - which of course is on the PC platform), but of all consoles MGS4 takes the crown. Dirt settles on the camera during after explosions, HDR Lighting is in full effect, and all of the bells and whistles you would come to expect from a Directx 10 compatible game. Although the game doesn't use Directx 10, it runs on a proprietary Konami engine and shows the mastery of the PS3 hardware.

Gameplay: 9.7/10

The gameplay is the best of the series. Everything is streamlined like a modern shooter while still keeping the feel and magic of the MGS series sneaking aspect. You can perform nearly all previous moves from the series plus some new additions, my favorite being shooting while lying on your back. Octacamo is genius. While many fans complained about the constant camouflage and healing navigation of MGS3 - Octacamo gets ride of menu surfing by changing to the background texture whenever Snake is prone or against a wall and still. Chases and gameplay switch ups keep everything fresh and exciting.

Music: 10/10

It doesn't get better than this - uncompressed and crystal clear. Bullets whiz by, ricochet and hit flesh with startling realism. The score is my favorite of the series only edging out MGS3 by a hair. You will find something to love throughout its 45 plus tracks. Sounds and Score are extremely important for emotional impact and I must stay when the orchestra was in full force during some of the story heavy cut scenes I couldn't help but shed a tear for good old snake.

Presentation: 10/10

All cut scenes look fantastic. The direction and layout rivals main Hollywood efforts. The motion capture is at its best and the first ever English lip syncing is refreshing. The game is filled with MANY cut scenes, but this is a Hideo Kojima game - even FANS forget this. Go play Snatcher, or Policenauts... Replay MGS1, MGS2, or even MGS3 and you will see that MGS4 doesn't have any lengthier cut scenes. Many fans may argue that MGS3 had more gameplay, but this was only at the end of the game with the chase scene/vogin fight/ The Boss fight (A first for Hideo Kojima), MGS3 started off very slow - not so with MGS4.

MGS4 falls right where it should and it comes out on top as Kojima's finest achievements.

Always opinion and debatable but I couldn't have ended better myself - a truly satisfing finish for fans of the series - even if it ends up not being your favorite of the series, you will be hard pressed and have to be an anal critic to find overall dissatisfaction with Hideo Kojima's masterpiece.

Overall. 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/08

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)