Review by leak_man

"The closest anyone can get to gaming perfection in any generation."

When I was looking into buying my PlayStation 3. I looked over various exclusives and highly rated games, the one that I saw most of course, was Metal Gear Solid 4, having never played a Metal Gear game before, I figured I'd get it later, however. That was a huge mistake on my part, after playing the first MGS, I wanted more. Soon after, I picked up MGS4, and to say the least; I was blown away, the reasons of which, I will explain now.

Okay, where do I start. The music and voice acting = AMAZING. Every voice actor manages to bring the characters to life, from Old Snake's rough tone, to Sunny's stutter, it actually makes you feel like you're watching a very well acted movie. And to back it up, the score in this game always matches with what's going on at the time, giving you intense tunes during action, and being softer at other times. It all works together to immerse you deeply in the world of the game.

I'm not going to touch upon the story for fear of spoiling anything for anyone who hasn't played this masterpiece yet. But to say the least, it's somewhat complicated. The reason it gets a 9 is because it might be a bit hard for some gamers to get their head around.

For any game, gameplay is the real meat, but when seasoned with good graphics, it makes the package even better. That's the case here, from the facial expressions of the characters, to the sunlight reflecting off of Snake's suit, and the dust kicking up when you walk/a grenade goes off/ect... In any case, the game looks great. I've found a few blurry textures here and there, but none of them subtracted from this great looking game.

To say the least... This is freaking amazing.

As most of you may know, the Metal Gear Solid series revolves around it's stealth based action gameplay. However, in MGS4, you're given a bit more options, you can take the traditional route, and sneak past your foes, or you could purchase an RPG 7 (From the local weapons vendor, Drebin.) and blow their asses six ways from Sunday, it all works together very nicely for precise gamers who like to sneak in the shadows, and getting into as little fights as possible. And clumsy gamers (Like me to an extent.) who would rather take no prisoners as he blasts through opposing group like a bulldozer.

Along with that, you're given various useful tools to avoid being seen, such as the OctoCamo system, which allows you to blend in with your surroundings by touching the structure you want to blend into, the Mk. II, which allows you to scout ahead and find the best way to sneak (Or blast through.) the opposition undetected. Your weapons vendor Drebin is also incredibly convenient, allowing you to purchase weapons and ammo on the spot using a currency known as Drebin points, which you can gain by picking up guns you already own from your fallen foes. It all works together very nicely, providing incredibly flexible gameplay.

Other:

Along with the American version of MGS4 comes the starter pack for Metal Gear Online, a 16 player third person shooter, as of this review I haven't played MGO yet, but I've heard good things about it, and will get to it as soon as I can.

The Lowdown:

Amazing through and through, it should be a crime to own a PS3, and NOT own this game, I give it my highest recommendation. A 10/10

Pros:
Great sound
Good story
Fun gameplay
Amazing graphics

Cons: Story can be a little hard to grasp without having prior knowledge of the MGS series.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/09

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)