Review by el_rika

"Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game that the PS3 has to offer."

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid series and man does it do a good job of wrapping everything up. It not only presents a compelling story full of twists and turns, but offers entertaining game play and spot on graphics. Find out why this game is so great in my review below.

To start off with Metal Gear Solid 4 features a compelling story that must be experienced. All of it is told through cut scenes which you will happen to see often, but they aren't annoying and really are entertaining. To make everything clear though there are a couple of hours of pure cut scenes which might draw people away thinking that the game is more of a movie then a game. Another factor that might draw people away is the fact that the story is complex, can be very confusing if you haven't played previous MGS titles and ultimately that your overall experience will be stunted if you haven't played previous MGS titles. In order to get a better understanding of the story and to make experiencing the story even better I suggest going to a nearby game store, finding the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots game guide and ripping it open, and read the section of it that tells you the whole story of Metal Gear. I know this sounds like a lot, but trust me it is worth it and beats being lost all the time throughout the story while playing the game. I am not going to get deep into the story, but to make things simple you play as Solid Snake or should I say Old Snake as the game calls him, for the last time and your goal is to stop Liquid, who is your twin brother from taking over the SOP system which controls many aspects of the modern soldier in the future such as behavior and emotions.

The graphics in MGS4 are outstanding and really push the PS3 to it's limits by showing an incredible amount of detail. Unfortunately there are some very, VERY minor flaws such as infrequent framerate drops and some low resolution textures, but in all this one of the greatest looking games ever made and I highly suggest playing it in HD to reap the full glory out of it's graphics.

The gameplay in MGS4 is excellent and can be really intense whether it be sneaking through a quiet forest or driving on a motorcycle shooting PMC soldiers up with a uzi like weapon, it is all good fun. You are able to purchase weapons, weapon upgrades, and ammunition through Drebin a black market arms dealer which is really convenient and allows you to tackle any situation however you want which is another great feature of the game. You aren't crucified for not sneaking this time oh no, you can tackle each mission two ways simply put guns a blazing or sneaking. The two are balanced and well put allowing you to play how you like which is awesome. There is also a online mode called Metal Gear Online which will take some getting used to since the pacing is different, but once you get the hang of it then get ready for some good fun. I personally like the sneaking mission mode where one person plays as Snake and two teams battle out to see who can kill snake the most.

At the end of the day MGS4 is a must play for anyone who remotely likes Action games and it would be too hard to put all of the great things this game offers into this review. Please buy or rent this game because you wont be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/09

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)