Review by EpicKingdom_

"In his final battle, our Hero stands alone!"

Welcome to my review, I have been a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series ever since my first experience of a tactical action espionage game on Play station. I have played Metal Gear Solid one, two, three and four over and over for years. I tell you this just so you know my relationship with Snakes saga so you know my review is legit. Now if you are completely new to the series than might I say play the first three games first so you will know whats going on within Guns of the Patriots because put together, all Metal Gear Solid games are like one entire movie of our Hero Snake.

Story 10 out of 10.

This is where Metal Gear Solid games shine the most and is the very reason it gains popularity. This is the final chapter you get to lead our legendary Solid Snake into infiltration and battlefields. The year is two thousand fourteen and war has changed and so has Snake now known as old Snake due to his accelerated aging. Nothing is as it used to be. Five years after the Big Shell incident and the world economy relies on continuous war, fought by PMCs, which outnumber government military forces. PMC soldiers are outfitted with nanomachines to enhance their abilities and control the stress on the battlefield. The control network created through these nanomachines is called Sons of the Patriots (SOP), and Liquid Ocelot is preparing to hijack the system. Snake accepts a request from Roy Campbell to terminate Liquid, with Otacon and Sunny providing mission support from the Nomad aircraft. Every question is answered as this story closes the door on Snakes story. Cinematic cut scene's are really long and can reach up to one hour. As you track down Liquid you find yourself infiltrating places like the middle east, south America, Europe, Shadow Moses and Outer Heaven.

Gameplay 8 out of 10.

There has been tons of improvements and changes to Metal Gear Solid game play. Like Utilizing stealth to new standards, CQC and traditional combat techniques. The overhead camera of earlier Metal Gear games has been replaced by a third person camera that rotates all around snake with the right stick letting you see all. A further addition to gameplay mechanics is the Psyche Meter. Psyche is decreased by non-lethal attacks, and is influenced by battlefield psychology. Stressors, including temperature extremes, foul smells and being hunted by the enemy. Increase Snake's stress gauge, eventually depleting his Psyche. Adverse effects include difficulty in aiming, more frequent back pain and the possibility of Snake passing out upon receiving damage. Among the available methods of restoring Psyche are eating, drinking, smoking and reading a magazine. Snake has a few gadgets to aid him in battle. The OctoCamo suit mimics the appearance and texture of any surface, decreasing the probability of Snake being noticed. The Solid Eye device highlights items and enemies, and can operate in a night vision and a binocular mode. It also offers a baseline map, which indicates the location of nearby units. The latter function is also performed by the Threat Ring, a visualization of Snake's senses that deforms based on nearby unit proximity and relays them to the player.

Tons and I mean tons of weapons are available to use and customize thanks to Drebin. A well known gun launderer. Whenever the Drebin menu is available, weapons, attachments and ammunition can be purchased via Drebin Points (DPs), awarded for on-site procurement of weapons already in the inventory and by initiating specific scripted events. The price and rate between weapons and DPs depends on current battlefield conditions, with more-intense fighting yielding higher prices. Also, Drebin would purchase items from the player at a discounted price.

One of my favorite changes to the series is the way you have to be more cautious while sneaking, yes there is a radar system but its does not make things easy for you like the past games did. As you sneak throw area's there are multiple paths to take to your objective. The downside of this section of the game is that the guards can be some what dumb. As they don't see you lying on the floor one foot away from them because the Octo camo is overpowered. I am not saying your invincible because im sure you will get caught just as much as you did in the past game but I am saying Improvements still need to be made with guard behaviors and strategy's and there is tons of potential to build on with future MGS games with the ideas created in this one.

Graphics 10 out of 10.

Now in my opinion, I say these graphics are the best of any console game out there to this day. The character models are intense and seriously look real. A great job is done here. But that's another thing MGS games are know for. The game play is pretty smooth but only at one point in the game the frame rate drops and that's during the middle east when battles go on and motors drop. But it's really NO big deal. I was just saying. Environments are beautiful and detail within levels are awesome. I really felt like I was in the Middle East sneaking into the enemy's encampment as well as the other locations.

Sound 10 out o 10.

There is not much to say about sound besides that the voice acting is superb and cut scene's have great sad music and regular music. In game sound would contain ambient war sound between Government and PMC troops as mortars drop. Get caught and the classic alert noise sounds off and battle music rages on. Die and hear Octagon yell Saaaaaaake! Good times right?

Verdict.

Buy this game for your collection if you are a fan and if your not become one buy playing the first three first and than this one. The story is really a movie and game play is not like any other game as you use everything in you to sneak past enemy lines.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/10

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)