Review by Ethenia

"I am a hero, always is, always will be"

Metal Gear Solid has been one of the most popular franchises in the gaming industry. It was made by Hideo Kojima, so without a doubt, the director of Metal Gear Solid 4 is Hideo Kojima.

Story – 9/10
One of the best things about Metal Gear Solid series is their storyline as it is being praise for its deep and intriguing storyline as well as the plot twist. This game is split into various chapter which each chapter explaining more of the storyline. The story is mostly presented in a way of a cut scene, with different cut scenes, different story will be told either be it serious or being humorous. Either way, the storyline is very addicting as if it is making you wanting to know more.

Graphic – 10/10
The graphic from this game is simply stunning, from the environment to the character to the props and even to some of the smallest detail. The game play and cut scene graphic are identical, only things being different are the moving camera angle. Without the use of FMV, the cut scenes still look extremely good of course this applies to the game play.

The environment is so big and it is amazing how the developer put all the details into it. Not to say that each act, they will bring you to a different location which also means more environments to look at.

The character designs are another thing to take note of. It is very amazing that the developer does not even left the smallest detail out. Also about face expression, it is makes until very real as well as the way they talk, they sync with the word they speak.

Within cutscenes itself, it is actually interactive. What I mean was, during cutscenes, there will be some button for you to press as well. For example if this cutscene is in the view of a third person, sometime there is a button for you to press to you could see what is actually seen in first person mode. The other button will be remembering the pass, as when you press the button, there will be flashback of what happen in the pass as so remind you of the old event.

Music/Sound effects – 9/10
The sound effect of this game is brilliant; even I don't have a very good sound system in the room. This is a shame that I cannot fully enjoy this game to the maximum

For the music, the music is very nicely done. I for one am a guy who thinks that music make a game. What is also important is that each music fits into the cutscenes nicely.

Gameplay – 10/10
Metal Gear Solid is known as a stealth game, however there is many different way it can be play it. For example, you can play it as stealth or just any third person shooter game (where you don't care about stealth).

You will get different type of weapons along the way, as well as accessories and item which will help along your way. You can get those either by item box or by enemy. By enemy, if you would to kill them or make them sleep or faint, their weapon would drop and you will be able to pick them up. However, if you pick the same weapon, the extra weapon will be sold away for some points in which you can exchange for more weapons or even unlock some weapons.

Unlike the Metal Gear Solid 3, where you need to match the environment with your outfit to get as much camouflage percentage as possible, now in Metal Gear Solid 4, you get something as auto-camo where if you are standing near a wall or ground(and pushes the triangle button) , the auto-camo will just changes your camo to the surrounding. Which allow you to hide from enemy more efficiently.

One of the best things in Metal Gear Solid 4 is definitely the boss fight. I can sum them up with one word. Epic.

Replayability – 10/10
There is just so much replay value in this game. Firstly, is has so many difficulty for you to choose from. Secondly, you can use different ways to finish your game (As I said before about the different way you can play your game). Thirdly, there are many unlockables. Besides, there are also many other things to do, like having Easter egg and most of them are just funny.

Conclusion
Metal Gear Solid 4 is one game not to be missed on the PS3. It just has so many good things to say about it. From the graphic to the music to the storyline, this game is just amazingly good. If people ask me about the top few games that I have play, Metal Gear Solid 4 will be one of them.

Final Score: 9.7/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/24/10

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (US, 06/12/08)