Review by HristoSK9

"Metal Gear Solid 4 - A review"

Where to start with Metal Gear Solid 4? The excellent story? The stunning visuals? The thrilling combat? The exciting stealth? The amazing soundtrack? Well, I think I'm gonna start with the story, since it is the most prominent element in the entire game.

If you're a 8 year-old that likes sports games and FPSs then you probably won't like MGS4. It's made for mature people that don't skip cutscenes and have an average-sized attention span. MGS4 gives those people its best qualities. The story is worthy of being written down. It's dramatic and intriguing, with countless twists and turns and awesome moments. There is nothing at all missing from it - it's long, it has a breathtaking ending, and the execution is just excellent. It's not cheesy in any way and the story will never get boring.

Another thing in this game are the visuals. It has some of the best graphics I've ever seen. They can really only be bested by Crysis. All the cutscenes are in realtime and you probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't told you. The facial animations are state-of-the-art and convey perfectly the emotions the character is feeling. The shadows, the ripples in a pool of water, the dust flying throughout the air in a battlefield, they're all just additions to the wonderfully rendered environment. This game is, so far, one of the most advanced I've seen in years, graphics-wise. The level of detail is just shocking. If you wander into the edge of some random field, where you're never going to have to go anyway, the place is wonderfully developed. Each tiny piece of the game is just wonderfully crafted.

The combat isn't brought down just to allow for the story and the graphics to take the show. Oh no, in fact the combat is incredible. You have pretty much every weapon in the world (yes, I did say world) at your disposable. Claymores, AT mines, M4 carbines, Glocks, Deagles, FALs, SCARs, MG4s, Dragunovs, Javelins and countless others are all things that you would recognize that are included in the game. Snake even has a Playboy magazine at his disposal to distract the enemies. The combat is realistic and dynamic. Enemy AI is great and responsive, and offers and actual challenge compared to other games.

I could talk about the other parts of the game, but I feel that it will take too long. And you probably know what they are anyway. This game is flawless. It's just unbelievable.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/12/10

Game Release: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (EU, 06/12/08)