Review by SynysterX

""A Return To Form? The Series Never Lost It, It's Only Gotten Better""

Graphics - 9/10

The graphics in DA are amazing, the character models for the most part look very lifelike and especially in those "Choice" moments within the JBA I found myself wincing as Sam pulled the trigger. There are lots of particle effects which look lush and all the explosions, smoke grenades and suchlike look real. However you cannot have this much looking good, without a downside. There are a few bland textures, in Kinshasa and in the JBA HQ, which let it down because these are probably the two locations you will spend the most time in and therefore you'll notice it, but although it might not seem like a big problem, it nags away. When I played through the game, even during the civil war in Kinshasa, I had no lag, compared to the extremely choppy Xbox 360 version. A smooth 60fps at 780p.

Story - 9/10

The story in DA is pretty good, it's got a lot of detail in it that will undoubtedly take you at least a second play through to fully understand it. In comparison with what is otherwise the best in the series, Chaos Theory, the story is on par, but of course is dealing with a terror much closer to home than Nuclear Warfare with Korea...That's all I'm saying, suffice to say the story can of course take slightly different approaches depending on how you play the game.

Gameplay - 10/10

The gameplay is brilliant, it was in Chaos Theory and is still pretty much the same in DA. The SIXAXIS is barely used in DA, except for maybe lock picking or cracking safes, but you have the option to turn it off, though it is suprisingly easy and simple to do it, given the SIXAXIS' repuatation with other Ps3 games...

Sound - 8/10

The sound in Double Agent is very good, it's all lip-synched and what have you to perfection and all the sounds are real. Some of the sounds are recycled from older Splinter Cell games, but that doesn't really bother you, because they still sound so good and so real. As for the music? It's very good, I don't know who composed it but its very tense and fits the mood perfectly, there is never a piece of music playing when the mood and setting of the scene does not call for it.

Overall - 9/10

I'm giving this game such a high score because it deserves it. It's really a great stealth game, and seeing the latest trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4, it's clear which series is going to win the "Stealth Battle" on the next-gen, which will be MGS. But I'm not saying it's bad, the game has it's faults but every game does, not one game has been perfect, even GTA Vice City, which had crap graphics, but this game will keep you hooked and interested, but I don't think it's a wise place to introduce complete newcomers to the series.

Synyster-FruscianteX

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/07

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (EU, 03/30/07)