Question from djangodriver

My PS3 just stopped working?

I just turned on my PS3 and started the game Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. I was just bout to hit load data when I heard this very loud popping sound. weather it was my TV or PS3 i'm unsure. A burning smell was also coming out from the fan. I I check and my PS3 is totally off. No lights on what so ever.
So I do normal troubleshotting stuff like joggling the back power switch and trying difrfrent outlets. The TV works fine and so do all my other systems. I have the old 80 GB PS3 that has PS2 playback. It wont turn on anywhere. I hope it's not broken! please note the smokey burning smell I got from the fan bacause I think that might be key. My PS3 is very dusty and the room temperature is normal. Any help please?

From: ba11s0f5teel 5 years ago

I'm not 100% sure, but the PS3 could have short-circuited from buildup of dust or debris and possibly the popping sound you heard was the motherboard shorting out. Another possibility could be that there was a sudden overflow of energy through the power cord, which could also have caused it to short, but there's no way to know until you get it checked. I'm sorry to say that you probably have to get a new ps3 through warranty (if available) or get it checked and repaired, if you're lucky the only thing you'll have to do is get a new component for it but then again, you could only complicate things even more trying to repair it yourself. Best of luck pal, hope you get the problem resolved.