How do I install games?

1. This is a dumb question, but how do I? I can't find anything that says install on it, do you install from game menu or PS3 menu. I have one of the new 160 gb ones if that matters

User Info: dimension_e510

dimension_e510 - 7 years ago
    Do you mean install the game so you dont need a disc anymore? Or install a segment like on MGS4.

User Info: Gaia_Deus

Gaia_Deus - 7 years ago
    I meant so I don't a disk, but it doesn't look like that's possible. There's a button in system settings that says install other os or something like that, is that what you mean?

User Info: dimension_e510

dimension_e510 - 7 years ago

1. It depends on the game type. Disc-based games have an "install" option which puts game data on the hard drive, but still requires the game disc to launch the game. All this "installation" does is shorten loading times by getting the information from the hard drive.

PlayStation Network (Store) games are different, however. They are usually purchased/downloaded from the PlayStation Store and are then installed onto the hard drive. You will then have an icon that depicts the installed games you have under your trophies or loaded game disc on your CrossMediaBar. These games do not require any disc to be launched and some will support from-Home launching in the future.

PSOne games are yet another type of game you can install. Purchased in the same way you would purchase PS Network (Store) games, these games can be launched directly from the CrossMediaBar. They can also be transferred to an activated PSP system for portable use.

The final game type is PSP-only games. These games are purchased/downloaded from the PS Network (Store) once again, but cannot be launched by the PS3. You must connect an activated PSP system and activate the game in your CrossMediaBar in order to transfer the game from your PS3 system to the PSP.

User Info: Gothann

Gothann - 7 years ago 0 0

1. "Install other OS" is an option that allows you to install a version of Linux on your PS3 console. It is completely unrelated to the installation of disc-based PS3 games. As stated before, there are no games that currently support installing the entire game onto the hard drive for no-disc launch.

User Info: Gothann

Gothann - 7 years ago 0 0