Question from ryan_fury123

My PS3 won't connect to the internet.. what do I do?

I have a cable modem that I unpluged from my tower and plugged it into my PS3, but when I try connecting to the internet on ym PS3, it says it can't get an IP address. Am I doing something wrong, or not doing something I'm supposed to?

mathreader asked for clarification::

I'll do the best i can to answer your question but is the cable modem wireless? and is it a router as well? i don't know if you have the old form of internet where a lot of noise is made before establishing a connection but if this is the connection you have i think you can't get a connection because the IP is changing constantly each time you try to tuse the internet.

Assuming you have a wireless router and a modern internet connection. to connect to the internet i would do it wirelessly, not only does this save the hassle of having to plug and unplug one cable to and from the modem to the PS3 but also it saves you having a big mess of cables.

You should set up a network in your home as this way the PS3 might be able to detect this and attempt to connect to this network (assuming it finds a network). if however it does find a network you will need to input a form of password that allows access to the network to be able to use the internet. This can be usually found in the setup of the router which can be accessed by typing it's IP address into the address bar of your browser. for me the IP address of my router is written under the router itself but i don't know if yours is as well.

Once in the setup search through the options till you do find something like 'pass-key' and there might be a list of them which ever is chosen you must input that same password exactly as written in to the PS3 and hopefully you can connect to the internet.

Drizzt3 answered:

Just unplug the power cord from your modem for 30 seconds then plug it back in. It should reset everything. I use to do this all the time until i got a router.
2 0