Review by gamesblow

"Ps3 is here and it basically lives up to the hype:"

I've had a little over a week with the system now and I am impressed with it a great deal. It's functionality is bar none the best out of any console and even some PC's out there. It's a sleek looking machine that cost money and it even looks like and feels like it cost money. Is that a plus? Well, you be the judge of that.

Games - 3 out of 10 - Not a lot out there right now. Resistance and Ridge Racer 7 are both worth their salt but we want more and right now there's not enough to go around. Lair, Moto Storm, Fight Night, Heavenly Sword, Oblivion and a host of other top notch games are coming in the months ahead so it will pan out in the long run, I'm sure.

Online - 8 out of 10 - This aspect alone shocked me. I'm use to playing live and well... when I got into Sony's servers and started playing I noticed it was rather solid and intuitive. To get into a game is no problem at all. It's easy and quick and that's the way it should be. I can only see them building on this in the months and years ahead. The online store could use some work and we could have something more in way of achievements maybe, but as is... it's solid.

Graphics - 7 out of 10 - right now no game is pushing the Cell envelope at all. I'm rather unimpressed with the graphics on the system as it stands. Resistance and Moto Storm and Ridge Racer all have great graphics out of the gate, but they're not stellar graphics by no means... I mean, they're not gonna change the way you look at xbox 360 "YET" Good but not great.

Controller - 8 out of 10 - This is by far my favorite controller right now. It's light, it feels good and it's a breeze to use. I love the wireless function and I like how you can turn on and off the game/system at will by the push of a button. It's a good controller and I don't miss the rumble one bit to tell ya the truth.

Hardware value - 10 out of 10 - This thing packs it in. If you wanted it, it's in here. Dvd, cd,ps1,ps2,ps3,blu-ray,mp3 man this thing can do it all. It really is a set top box. It has everything all in one. Now the quality might not be top level but it damn sure won't make you question your purchase until blu-ray players come down in price. Right now, as it stands, the Ps3 is the system to get in terms of what it can offer the others can't.

Backwards compat - 2 out of 10 - This is the thing that bothers me. It can play most everything back from Ps1 and Ps2, but when you see them being played on that nice new tv you just bought to play it on... You'll wonder why you would even want to. It makes you PS1 and PS2 gaming experience very bleak... let me tell ya. It's basically unplayable. It looks that bad on any Lcd HDTV or HDTV for that matter... it really does.

So, overall... 8 out of 10. The system is just ram ping up and it's gonna be here to stay, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to the next year in gaming with it and that'll also be a better indication of what we can all expect out of the xbox 360 and wii as well.

PS3 is a winner in my book... just make sure you have your old tv and ps2 slim laying around for Ps1 and PS2 games ;-)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/06