Review by Jordon_p

"Everything that I expected"

After spending a few days with my new PS3, I am very impressed, it met all my expectations.

First the graphics, they are amazing, It is a huge step up from the PS2, and about the same as the 360, which is pretty much what I expected. I do not have a HDTV yet, and it still looked amazing.

The controller is great, but I am someone who loved the PS2 controller. The tilt control is really cool, I played the Motorstorm demo for hours because of it, and I don't really like racing games. It feels a little too sensitive at first, but once you get used to it, it is great. My only complaint about the controller is that it feels a little to light, which I think is why some people said it felt "cheap".

The online service is all right, it is not as good as Xbox Live, but I didn't expect it to be, after all it is free. My biggest complaint with the online service is you can't play a game while its downloading something. I'm sure sony will fix this and make more improvements to the online service in the future. Online multiplayer in a 40 man game in Resistance is completely lagless.

I haven't seen any problems so far in the backwards compatibility, I have a huge collection of ps1 and ps2 games and they all worked perfectly, and seemed to look a little clearer, and loaded faster.

The system itself is pretty nice looking, it is a little big, but oh so shiny! It is completely silent, except when loading something off a disk, then it makes the same noises the psp does when it does the same. The fan area does get a little warm, but no overheating yet.

The launch lineup is a little lacking, but so are most launch lineups, for example, look at the PS2, its launch titles were horrible. Resistance is the only launch title that really interested me and it is a very fun game, it isn't anything new, but it is very well done and has insanely fun multiplayer. The future game releases look really good, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5, and even some cool looking original games like Lair and Heavenly Sword.

Blue Ray movies are pretty cool, even on my crappy tv I could tell the difference between Blue Ray and DVD. Things looked a little clearer, and you could notice things like peoples eye color and stuff really easily.

The price to me is fine, a lot of people say it is way too expensive, but it is only like $100 more than the PS2 was at launch. You get a lot for your money with the PS3 as well, you get a blue ray player, a next gen game console, plus you can even use it as a computer if you want with Linux. I bought mine of off eBay, you can find a pretty good deal if you are patient. I paid $900 Canadian for a 60gb PS3, 1 game and free shipping, about $80 more than retail.

My opinion for PS3 vs 360 is this:
Want good online, and American games, get a 360
Don't care as much about online, and want Japanese games, or a good variety of games, get a PS3

In conclusion, I give the Playstation 3 a 9/10 because it is everything that I expected, but the online could use a bit of improvement.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/27/06