Review by thommohawk13

"Multi console owner's straight talking PS3 review (November 2009)."

What more can I say about the PS3 that hasn't been said already ? Nothing. But here we are at the end of 2009 and with the Christmas season once again upon us, I give my take on the PlayStation3. I actually own all 3 consoles so I am not a fan boy, but I do much prefer the PS3 (there's a big difference!) and there's good reason for that, which I'm about to discuss.

Hardware: 10/10

No doubt the hardware is simply the best around regarding consoles, the graphics and presentation that this thing is capable of really is striking and mind blowing all at the same time. Nothing but the highest spec'd PC on the market can even hold a candle to this and graphically speaking only Crysis measures up to the type of graphics we see here.

Networking: 10/10

I'll start off by saying it now - it's not as good as Xbox Live, but what it is is completely free to play online and to download demos - it's also got PlayStation Home which is still in beta and free, it's also got an internet browser on the dashboard too so there's no need for any Facebook or Twitter dash updates here lol just go to any site you wish - that's why the network gets 10/10. It simply does more, a recurring theme here actually.....

Peripherals: 9/10

Joy pads are the same as everyone's been using ever since the Play Station first appeared in the mid 90's. Except wireless as standard, speaking of as standard the PS3 comes with a USB joy pad charger which could also be plugged into a PC to charge the joy pad if the PS3's USB ports were in use. No small penny pinching here having to mess around with batteries or having to buy a joy pad charger! All comes with.

Also the hard drives can be inexpensively manually upgraded to beyond market spec, since the PS3 uses standard laptop hard drives. And it's very easy to do. Take the plate off, unscrew 1 screw, lift catch and slide the case out, swap out hard drives and obviously reverse the process!

Exclusive games: 9/10

The very thing that any console lives and dies by is it's exclusive properties, this for me is the best part about the PS3 - Uncharted franchise, Metal Gear Solid franchise, MotorStorm franchise, plus lots of other quality games like Killzone2, Ratchet&Clank....the PS3's exclusives for me are much, much better than the 360 exclusives but that's just my own personal preference, no doubt you'll have yours too, but in and of themselves the PS3 exclusives are fantastic - and as for graphics and presentation the vast majority are beyond compare to anything on the other consoles and this is a fact to everybody with 2 functioning eyes and who knows anything at all. In fact the difference is quite obvious, trust me on that - some people say there's hardly a difference, well I own all 3 consoles, take it from me, there is! Especially on a HDTV.

User Option: 9/10

The only reason this didn't get a 10 is because most PS3's no longer have the option to play PS2 games. And the ability to install Linux has been taken away with the Slim variants. But this is yet another area where the PS3 takes the cake, you've heard this a thousand times but it's a Blu-ray player, has a fully functioning web browser, free wireless connectivity out of the box, because of the ability to use the internet you can save any photo file and use it as your login picture or background. It's little things like this that leave a big impression. Once you take the plunge. But what you may not be aware of is the fact that you can copy not only photo and music from disc, usb, or internet to the PS3's hard drive but you can also do the same with video both for standard definition material aswell as High Definition content. This is simply not possible to do on the 360 as you are having to rely on discs or streaming for movie content on that console and neither is particularly ideal - in having video files on the hard drive the file will always be whole and playable, and you'll never lose your place in the movie if your internet connection momentarily cuts out - not to mention being able to put video on there in the first place is uber cool!

The PS3 really DOES do just about everything regarding games and entertainment. The ads are actually true. For once.

Price: 10/10

£250 is a lot of money, but for that £250 you are gaining so much for that money, yes the 360 is cheaper on the shelf, but not in the long run and not when you consider all that you get that comes with the PS3 which you would have had to buy after the fact on the 360 such as wireless internet capability amongst a slew of other things. I used to say regarding the PS3 that it's quite expensive but you get what you pay for, I can no longer say this now, because at £250 you get more than you pay for, honestly.

People see the cheaper tag on the 360 and they go for it, but it's a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing as the PS3 is really the cheaper console, and it's also really the best too. Except for exclusive preference since you might prefer Halo and Gears (I'm not a fan of either but like Fable2 and Mass Effect) and online play, but online play is completely free on the PS3 and not exactly awful, online play is what it is and if that's your bag then nobody in their right mind can complain at that!

If you're on the fence about getting a PS3 still.....don't be, just buy it and ask questions later - not that you'll have any after the fact. Because odds are you'll be very pleased with your purchase. And once you do buy it, you'll realize as well as I did that while the 360 is good, it's just not all it's cracked up to be and the PS3 really does highlight the competition's many flaws as well as few strengths.

You might say the PS3 is the iPhone of games consoles - quite expensive, but well worth it!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/18/09

Game Release: PlayStation 3 Hardware (EU, 03/23/07)