Review by ryan_fury123

"Great game, minor flaws, all Tekken.. what more do you need?"

Graphics - 9/10
The graphics are great. In the normal fighting mode, not much has changed, but who cares? We don't need everything looking as close to real life as possible. The cutscenes and ending videos looked great in Tekken 5, and this year, they're just a little better. Wish the endings were longer and more serious/thought out, but that's another story.

Sound/Music - 6/10
The voices and sound effects are fine. I hear a lot of little complaints about how they "ruined" Bryan's laugh, but as a Bryan Fury fanatic, I don't have a problem with it. Where they could've improved? The background music is very forgettable. I remember back in Tekken 4, Hwoarang's stage had an awesome track. And they should have stuck with the spoken prologues.

Content - 8/10
All you want from a Tekken game, and a few extras. Mainly, the Scenario Campaign mode. Basically, the game is based around this mode, and it's not bad at all. My only beef with it is that it's the main way to get character customization items, since in the shop, they're insanely expensive. Which brings me to the "new & improved" customizing. All it is is a few items that are a ton of different colors. More areas to put items, but nothing too spectacular in my opinion. And then there's Online. Plagued with a lagging problem, and the only mode where you can increase your level beyond 1st dan, which is a horrible idea. Other than those problems, the other online problems come from players that use noob tactics to win, which takes the fun out of it.

Gameplay - 8/10
The main gameplay of Tekken(the fighting) is still great, no complaints there. Scenario Campaign is a nice touch, and really has no big flaws as far as gameplay goes. Maybe increase the AI of your partner so they actually try to pick up health items when they're about to die. Where I have complaints is that they changed the fact that to unlock endings, you have to do so in the Arena within the SC. Four fights and you get a your ending, which almost completely negates having an Arcade mode. And as far as that goes, it's one thing to have a challenging boss, yet completely another to make him the king of block. Azazel has to be one of the biggest pains in the butt ever in a Tekken game. Then, on the other end of the stick, Jin is horribly understrengthed. Devil Jin in Tekken 5 was more of a challenge. At least he'd sneak a win out of me every once in a while.

Replay Value - 8/10
Once you unlock all the endings and get all the trophies, there's not much to do as far as single player goes. Maybe getting all the items for everyone, but I doubt many people want to do that. And of course there's Online. But Versus mode is always there and ready for you and your friends to beat the crap outta each other, and that's always fun.

Story - 7/10
They focused on the Mishima/Kazama family in this game, which is fine, but they kinda dropped the ball with other fighters' stories. Some players might not care fully about how Jin, Kazuya, and Heihachi are going at it. Stories of guys like Hwoarang, Yoshimitsu, and new guys like Bob and Miguel seem to be dropped by the waste side. And the endings to a good half of the fighters are horrible. Resorting to pure comedy rather than advancing a story, whether it be cannon or not. Maybe it's time Namco realizes Tekken doesn't need about 50 fighters.

Overall - 9/10
Overall, it's Tekken. I buy Tekken for the story and the enjoyable fighting. Everything else is a perk. The SC mode is a welcome new addition, and I always have liked the customizing. A few minor problems won't make me hate this game, and I enjoy playing every time I turn on my PS3.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/09

Game Release: Tekken 6 (US, 10/27/09)