Question from Dark_Dendra

How do I beat Barthandelus in the first battle against him ?

okay so seriously , this boss is impossible for me. I have no idea how to beat him , I've tried many strategies I've found on the internet been upgrading my weapons like crazy and then I keep upgrading the characters with the crystal points and I still can't beat this guy. And this is the first time where you fight this guy 'cause apparently you have to fight this guy again ? but yea , how do you beat this guy ?

Answers

AZorro007 answered:

Here is a scheme that I have used to get through this battle. No weapons upgrades used but accessory upgrades were. Crystarium levels were at the maximum possible at the point of battle entry. Also, its helpful to use an Aegisol, a Fortisol and a Deceptisol before the battle starts (occasionally the Deceptisol seems to work but not usually).

Battle Party

......Lightning ............................ Fang ............................... Hope
.Axis Blade Lv.1 ............. Bladed Lance Lv.1 .............. Airwing Lv.1
..General's Belt* ................. Royal Armlet* ............... General's Belt*
Witch's Bracelet* ..... Brawler's Wristband Lv.8 ..... Witch's Bracelet*

Paradigms
........COM................................. COM ............................... RAV
........ RAV ................................ COM ............................... RAV
........ MED ................................ SEN ............................... MED

Start by attacking one of the four small heads (I do Left Pauldron, Left Ailette, Right Ailette, Right Pauldron) with Relentless Assault (RAV, COM,RAV). Keep attacking and heal when necessary only. The goal is to eliminate the four heads fairly quickly before the opponent strengthens the magic attack. Just before finishing off the fourth head, switch to Combat Clinic (MED SEN MED) to heal so that your party can enter the next phase of the battle at close to full strength.

As you finish off the fourth head and the "transformation" occurs, attack full out to try to stagger Barthandelus. This is probably your "best" chance to make a significant reduction in the enemy's hit points quickly. One can use Relentless Assault and Aggression (COM, COM, RAV) as a basic attack approach. Switching between these can shorten the interval between attacks instead of just waiting for the ATB Bar to refill. (Another possibility is to summon Odin at this point and use the Eidelon's strengths to reduce Barthandelus's hit points. A benefit is that when Odin leaves, the battle party reappears with full hit point gauges.)

After the "transformation event, Barthandelus uses Baptism in Ruin (Magical attack), Thanatosian Smile (Physical "machine gun" attack) and Destrudo (Laser attack). One or more instances of the first two attack types is followed by a single instance of the third to complete an attack "cycle".

The strategy during this is to time one's actions and pick away at the opponent's hit points in a race against the Doom counter clock. Attack using Relentless Assault and Aggression during Baptism in Ruin and Thanatosian Smile events. Insert a quick Combat Clinic (full or part) if needed. When Destrudo begins, switch to Combat Clinic and bring your party up to full hit points. As Destrudo ends, stand by with a potion to assist healing after the Laser is fired. After the Laser, quickly heal and return to the attack. Repeat until finished.

If you are running out of time and have not used Odin, a summon action will temporarily stop the Doom counter. You can use Odin and pound away with no Doom counter time cost if you are close to a win when the counter is nearing zero.
1 0

lcie88 answered:

Oh boy if you're having trouble with his first battle... His second is way harder. It's all about experimenting but remember the cardinal rule... always buff, debuff, heal and stagger. Try something like sab/syn/med, sab/syn/rav, med/med/com, rav/rav/rav, rav/rav/com, com/com/med. Make sure u switch to two meds when you see his big attacks coming and don't be shy with using your Eidolon when ur teammates fall to raise them. When he staggers, try to get his chain gauge up to 999% with more spells then get a commando or two in there to cap his ass while keeping a healer on standby.
0 0

Taverenmor answered:

I had to upgrade accessories so as not to die after Destrudo. Also died once after Doom. In total, I lost some six or seven times until I finally beat him with Lightning Hope and Snow. It took me 21 minutes since it was impossible to stagger him more than twice, even with the eidolon. So basically I beat him him COM RAV RAV then MED MED SEN and eventually went back to COM SYN COM. Also used quake whenever possible and always had Lightning ready to heal herself after the laser attack, since it was always closely followed by Ruin and that actually killed me once.
0 0