Review by LackOfName9

"A Reviewer that has played FF Series the First Time"

Final Fantasy XIII. I have to say it caught my attention before the release. Everybody's hype of anticipating a game series that hasn't been released in about 4 years. Oh man, my hands are itching. Get the game on first day, pop that baby in, and BAM I'm watching a cinematic movie while jerking to one button. As a player who has played the Final Fantasy series for the first time, I am surprised by the fact that I am not enjoying the game as much as I thought I would. Once I get a hold of my character, I am just going through this big straight tunnel that will simply funnel me to the end. No attempt for traps, tricks or even decisions. Hardest part while in control of a character? A fork road. Two roads, one leading to the main story and the other leading to a treasure chest with a dead end to tell me, "The other path is the only choice, now run grasshopper!" Might have taken me one minute to realize that I had no other path and I was actually not in a maze. Anyways enough talking about the exploration and control over the character because I was on the "yellow brick road" to find the Wizard~!

Battle system? Flashy and what I like to see. Although at times repetitive with the same flashy moves I have seen before, it can still look superior to other battles in other games. So the only way to actually be involved with the battle is to change paradigms? Alright, I'm digging that. After a couple of paradigm changes. OK no more please, I have to keep changing and that bugs me. Battle after battle, it's the same method to place except in in a new place, new monsters with a new situation. What to do? Smash that X button. Some may say that, "OH MAN That's like the most beast battle system I've ever seen." Really? Smashing one button, occasionally OR repetitively changing paradigms and watching this movie that will practically move on as long as you press X. Well overall, I'd say the battle system was not as innovative as I wanted it to be.

Graphics? Good, done.

Music? I liked it because I play the piano and I'm a sucker for sappy music. OK done.

Oh yeah Story. Well, I don't want to say I really understood it at first, but over time I barely figured out what groups there were. So there's the l'Cie? Fal l'Cie? Cocoon l'Cie?!? The Sanctum? Is PSICOM the Sanctum? Ok Cocoon civilians got that down and Grand Pulse civilians. OK WHAT THE 1337, Cavalry that looks like PSICOM? Oh man, holy ddr, the Eden, and orphan and ragnarok? Yeah, in brief, I had no clue what was happening. I smiled, watched the cinematic cutscenes. Done.

I really don't know what else to talk about it. Unless you want me going about the sweet graphics? Overall the game was repetitive. I lost that passion to come back home from school and start grinding my levels in Borderlands. So without further a do, my score is a 5/10. You can play it, there's SERIOUSLY nothing special, unless you believe Graphics>The Game and you can sacrifice it all for the graphics, then go home, rent it if you like and just anticipate for something better.

LackOfName-Ohhh yeahhh~.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy XIII (US, 03/09/10)