Review by omegajustice

"Square Enix does it again, but is it what everybody expected?"

Millions of people the world over have highly anticipated Final Fantasy 13 for years. The fan base Final Fantasy has created over the years is incredible to say the least. For years, gamers have been spellbound as they take on the wondrous and epic titles of past. So it was no big surprise that when FF 13 was unveiled, it flooded in a whole host of crazy fan boys (and girls) with expectations sky high for this fabled franchise. Well, did Final Fantasy 13 deliver? Yes it did, and I will tell you why in my quick in-depth review.

GAMEPLAY-

You start the game as Lightning, a cool headed women who has a clouded past. As soon as the game opens up, you will be stunned by the visuals. You control each of the six characters at one point in the story, and the controls are tight and responsive. You will explore exciting vista's, trek across foreign lands, and you will be stunned by the graphics the whole time. For the first 20 hours of the game, you generally run from point a to point b. No Air ships, no big towns to explore and interact with. Not that this is really a bad thing. After the first 20 hours is really where the game shines, you will have a lot to do, and you will have fun doing it. The battle system is superb, and the Crystarium and Missions will keep you busy for 80 Hours+. For 60 bucks, you get well what you payed for.

MUSIC-

I really had nothing to complain about with the music in this game. Though it does not match the masterpieces of titles like Chrono Cross, or FF8 it still holds a place among the better music in video-games these days. Great music.

STORY-

Here is what FF is all about; the story. In every FF since the NES, the story has been the most integral part of an RPG. The story in this one is about 6 people who are on the run from cocoon, for being l'cie. The story is very confusing with words like: l'cie, fal'cie, cocoon and gran pulse. I won't even bother trying to explain it to you, as I could probably do it no justice. So don't be surprised if you don't follow the story as well as you should. Even the last boss doesn't make much sense, but what the heck? It's Final Fantasy, I guess it doesn't really need to make sense. Overall, I though the story was OK to average at least. Nothing that will have you blown away, that's for sure.

OVERALL-

But after 120+ hours of this game, I still came away feeling good about the game. Sure it has it's flaws, but what game doesn't? The good things about the game stand above everything else. The visuals are amazing, the content on the disk is superb, the battle system is one of a kind, but the music and story are sub par. Not to mention that the missions (64 of them) will keep you busy for hours on end. Not to mention some of the impossible trophies, your 60 bucks was well spent. But the question I keep asking myself is this: Is this really a Final Fantasy game?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/30/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy XIII (US, 03/09/10)