Review by Carlk797

"Good but not what should have been done"

I do not agree with what some other of the reviewers have said about this game: I'll be brief about some other people's problems.

1.) I did not like this game because there are no towns. This is a very stupid reason to dislike this game. I mean the town thing being an important part of final fantasy games went out after FF6. They became places in the game rather than places to get stronger.

2.) I did not like this game because you couldn't buy weapons. Once again a dumb reason, a lot of RPG games have gotten rid of this feature, and I think it isn't that big of a deal.

3.) Lastly, Turn based fighting and random encounters. Turn based fighting is old and dated the batter system of final fantasy 13 is what made this game good. Random encounters are often annoying and I am kind of glad that you had the choice to encounter the bad guys.

Now for the review: As I stated before the battle system of this game is amazing, and challenging at the same time. I like the fact that you had a legitimate chance of dying in each battle and had to keep working hard to win. Games have become too easy these days. The graphics are also amazing. Stunning images, incredible detail, there is nothing negative to say about it!

Now for the bad. I think game makers are starting to get into an unfortunate slump. I think many people believe that great graphics is enough to make a great game. I disagree. Final Fantasy has always been known for amazing stories. FF13 was weak in this area and I think the makers were thinking the graphics and the mechanics would compensate for this. I did not like having to read archives to get caught up in the story, and I sort of saw that as the game was cheapened a little. I also thought this game should have been better because it was the first major FF title on PS3. PS1 had FF7, PS2 had FF10, I mean fans were expecting something better than what we got. I also didn't like the fact that there was no real clear antagonist in the game. Sure there was the one guy but I can't even remember him because he wasn't that bad.

In the end I think this game was good but not memorable. 10 years after FF7 came out I can still play it, but I don't think 10 years from now I'll be interested in playing this game. It gets 6 out of 10 because of the graphics and mechanics. But I still wanted a lot more in terms of the story.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/11

Game Release: Final Fantasy XIII (US, 03/09/10)