Review by blackbodianZ

"Resident Evil 4! Er.. 5."

Ah. Resident Evil 5. It's been a long series running over a decade, and is it a great game? Yeah, but there are a few quirks that bothered me.

Story 8/10

RE5 follows our favorite ex-S.T.A.R.S. member Chris Redfield with his new partner Sheva Alomar. If you're new the series you may be a bit lost in following what's going on, but fans shouldn't have a problem. The developers pretty much explain a lot of what's going on but there are a few plot holes and a few moments of "What the heck.." For example, there's a character who you're chasing named Irving, and he's so campy and corny, you'll either laugh or think he's the most stupid aspect of the game.

The story itself isn't overly convoluted, and it isn't so glaringly simple, which is a bit of a nice change of pace. Nice chunks of the Resident Evil world and generally what's going on are hidden on random computers and note pads, so those of you who enjoy a good story, try and keep your eye open.

Eye Candy! *Graphics* 8/10

I honestly wanted to give this game a 7. There are times where it just doesn't look like this is on a next generation system. Chris, Sheva, and other main characters look great. The enemies are varied but after probably an hour you'll notice you seem to be shooting at the same five different people over and over again. The environment..Can look really 'meh' sometimes. Some nasty blurs and jagged edges time to time really took me out of the moment. I went for the 8 simply because the game has almost no slow down. It was smooth throughout and even load times *manual install into the PS3 mandatory* were pretty good.

Either way, the game looks great.

Sound 8/10

I have no complaints. I had my system set up for surround sound and it was nice, crisp, and clear. I give a salute for the voice acting cast, they did a good job for the most part. Sheva's voice actor sounded awkward at times, but I can't complain. The enemies make the same sort of gibberish from RE4, and explosions and guns sound right on.

Game play 6/10

It gets really boggy from here. I had my first run through with a couple of friends. It was fun. It was like playing RE4 again. Shoot at a guy's knee, he'll drop on one leg and you can do an context sensitive button attack. Awesome. Shoot the head or other certain body part equals to a different attack. After a few hours, my friends and I looked at each other and said, this is EXACTLY like number 4.

If it weren't for the co-op ability, I'd honestly give this a 3. With a partner, you can chain up those context sensitive attacks to really do some mean damage, but besides that.. It's Resident Evil 4 all over again. Don't get me wrong. I loved RE4, but if I'm shelling out over 60 for this, I want something more than a buffed up version of RE4.

And here's the main reason for the low score. The A.I.

I hate, the A.I. with a passion. My second run through on my own, which I told myself I had to do, was irritating and frustrating beyond belief. I guess I was so used to my friends besides me, and being able to communicate this and that, asking each other what ammo we needed, and how many guys are here etc etc, that the computer just seems so ..brain dead.

It was like I was playing with a kindergartner. You can only direct the CPU with the most basic of commands; stay here, cover, go. It rarely goes for headshots, and it'll spam one weapon till its out of ammo before it'll use whatever else you gave it to use. I dont' know how many times I found myself yelling "Use THE GRENADE!"

To sum it up, play with someone else. Its more fun, a bit easier, and darn it, its more sociable. Don't hole yourself in the room alone.

I've had pretty much good experiences when hooking up playing the co-op online. My partners *I think I lucked out* always had a mic so it was like he/she was sitting right next to me, and I got to enjoy the game full screen on my beautiful HDTV.

Replay Value? Heck yeah. Fully upgraded weapons rewards you with infinite bullets, which honestly made the quest with playing alone with the computer a much less hassling experience. There are tons of unlockables, and extra modes with even more characters to play as.

Don't get bummed with the 7/10 score. It's a still a great game worth playing/paying .

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/16/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)