Review by CoiledViper

"Maybe fear you can forget, but certainly an unforgettable experience"

INTRO

Resident Evil 5 was a long time coming. It's been a long time since the last game in the series. As we all know, Resident Evil 4 was one of the greatest games ever made in one of the greatest franchises ever made. Question was, how on earth could a sequel top it?

To top it, the obvious idea would be to improve the formula. Resident Evil 5 definitely delivers there. The weapons rosters is significantly enhanced, with real life weapons. The upgrading system is virtually the same as the RE4, but to improve such a perfect system is nearly impossible. No complaints there at all. Gameplay-wise, it's plays virtually the same as RE4 with a major addition of a partner system. It was a drastic change from RE4 and it's solo adventure (with the exception of Ashley who just tags along). Sheva, Chris' partner, aids you with her general presence. Her motives in the story differ a bit from Chris', and I find it to be a bit more honorable. As Chris battles to solve the mysterious of his past and fight bioterrorism, Sheva fights to avenge the death of her parents at the hands of Umbrella, and to free her homeland from the evil bio-terrorists have brought to Africa. Her A.I. can shoot as accurately as a human player, if not better, and she doubles the carrying capacity you would have if you were on your own. After my playthrough, I could honestly say she was nothing but a big help, there were very few moments, 2 or 3, in which she was the direct result of a game over. Truthfully, this is no opinion, and that she is almost as good as a human player if not better.

The game is linear, and the pace is very fast. It's a thrill ride from beginning to end, and although it's design has been heavily tweaked, the Resident Evil franchise flavor is in full force. RE5 has had the least scary moments in the series, but truthfully its there. I would highly recommend this game as a buy, as the unlockable content and extra game modes require multiple playthroughs, and playing it is just a blast of fun. The only reason I cannot score the game a 10 is due to a lack of puzzles and even more unlockable content from the start as it's ancestor RE4 did. I hope you have an awesome time blasting away the infected and making great memories with a friend.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/17/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)