Review by omegajustice

"The fear we have all been waiting for"

Staring down the length of my fully upgraded pistol at a horde of flesh eating zombies, I realized I was not alone. Sheva close by, fired off a few rounds into the head of a giant axe wielding behemoth. I realized then, that fear has two faces. My white knuckled fist gripped the controller in paramount horror as I watched Sheva get slaughtered only feet away from me. Staring horror in the face, I rushed to her aid, but it was too late.

This is just one of many amazing horror's that you will face delving into the masterpiece that is Resident Evil 5. If you thought RE4 was good, just wait until you get your hands on this one. Resident Evil 5 takes what made RE4 so great and builds upon it. Stunning visuals, eerie atmosphere, and a stunning soundtrack all combine to make Resident Evil 5 a dauntingly bold achievement.

Game play- 10/10

Any fan of the series's last installment will be right at home here. The game feels and controls exactly like RE4. Not only will you be switching weapons on the fly with the newly mapped D-pad control, you will also be taking out your enemies with style and ease. Hands down, the game play is perfect. Sheva for the most part, is a good partner. She rarely gets in the way, and she is always shooting something before you are. Kudos to Capcom for creating an excellent AI. Whether playing on-line or with a friend, this game is a blast.

Story- 9/10

As far as stories go in Resident Evil, this one is actually not too bad. You start out as main protagonist and renowned BSAA agent Chris Redfield. Following some cut scenes, Sheva Alomar of the BSAA joins up with Chris. If you do not follow Resident Evil that closely the story can seem confusing and often times convoluted. Many scenes are flash backs of Chris's earlier days. Though most wont be concerned with the aspects of the story, die hard fans will hang on to every detail. My only complaint is the ending... What a cliff-hanger

Sound- 10/10

Capcom has done it again with a deep and engrossing orchestra to perpetuate the heated battle's and awesome boss encounters. If you can truly appreciate good music. Capcom has nailed it. The weapons sound perfect and the voice dialogue is top notch. This is a perfect score for an otherwise perfect game. Once again, kudos to Capcom on a brilliantly achieved musical score.

Overall- 10/10

Any fan of the series, or newcomers, will quickly adapt to this fast paced, fun filled, explosive chapter of the Resident Evil series. Capcom took everything that made RE4 great and revamped it. My only complaint is the length. 8.5 hours for the main story. But I guess that complaint isn't well justified seeing as you will probably play through this game 3-4 times adding up the hours to about 30-40. Whether playing solo, or with a friend this is one experience you simply cannot pass up. Fear lives on

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/25/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (Collector's Edition) (US, 03/13/09)