Review by acid2008

"Good, but not the best yet..."

When it was released last month I was overjoyed due to the on-line co-op system and gameplay mechanism introduced by the developer. However, after several weeks playing it again and again I sense something missing. This review is based on two categories, the graphics and the gameplay. The rest is not that important to be mentioned. All content is based on my personal opinion after playing it for several weeks and does not take into account of any influence from other reviewers.

Great but not that outstanding yet. I notice few objects in the game that I would consider at par with the graphics found in Resident Evil 4 (Playstation 2). Notice the barrels? The crowded infected community? Arsenals? Herbs? These have the (almost) same quality for both console. It still offers great graphic though it can be a lot better since Resident Evil 5 is specifically for the next-gen console. However, the characters model were designed beautifully. Now that is what we call, upgrade.

The developer still maintain the intense interactive cut scenes (which is my favorite) but I kind of feel its a clone of Resident Evil 4. The inventory system has been changed for better of worst. This time there will be no more inventory box assisting you all the way. Instead, you can only arrange the weapons and items you're going to use at the beginning of each chapter. This is a great improvement as player will have to play smart and know which items needed and which should be left behind. Other features are the usual stuff found in PS3 games, the trophies, figurines, hidden treasures, weapons and outfits. No point to elaborate. One great thing about this game would be the on-line co-op mode. You play with on-line partner and completing the game using your own method or style in story or mercenaries mode and even check your score and performance. If you're playing offline mode and your partner is an AI, it wouldn't be as fun as the on-line mode. This is fun! Furthermore, there are new modes available on-line probably in mid of April '09. I think its the only reason why I still give it an 8.

Major spoilers in may opinion is the advantage to carry all of your weapons and items (including the infinity weapons) when you play the game in different difficulty settings. Few may take it as an advantage but I don't. Just imagine you've completed the Amateur Mode and manage to get a magnum or rocket launcher with infinity ammo, you can use it to play in the normal, veteran and professional mode which makes it so easy to beat. Sooner or later you will feel as if you're only running and shooting without any threats at all. What's the point? Maybe you can turn the infinity ammo off. Still, it will not be as intense because you've started the game with almost every weapons found in the game. Try to play Resident Evil 4 in the professional mode for the first time and you'll get what I mean. Though it's only my personal opinion, I think the rest of you will say that the game is just plain fun and great. Well, that's why they call it personal opinion. Besides that, I couldn't slip it out of my mind thinking how similar this game is to its predecessor. As if you're playing Resident Evil 4 Part 2. No harm to it, its still plain fun.

Still a good game, rent it if you have doubt and just buy it if you're a hardcore fan. Thank you for reading my review and have a nice day.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/02/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)