Review by MechaGanon

"I like it a lot, but it also grinds my gears a bit."

I feel as though throughout this review I'm just going to compare the fourth to the fifth game, and I don't want to, but I think that's what most people do. So I guess I'll just have to hold back my judgments based on that.

Resident Evil 5... I've been waiting for this game ever since I played and beat Resident Evil 4, because I really enjoyed the new style. So, I waited and watched trailers and yearned and finally, two weeks ago, was able to play it. My friend and I beat it in three days. And boy, did we love it. But like most games, I got some beef with it.

This game sees Chris Redfield in Africa. Why? We don't know, but he's accompanied by a woman named Sheva Alomar who together are members of the BSAA. I don't remember what it means off hand, but in any case, these two are off in a town in Africa, trying to find a bioterrorist. Along the way, these two dig up dark secrets and you'll be saying oh my gosh once you see the star appearance of Albert Wesker.

I mentioned that I would probably end up comparing this game to the fourth installment of the series (which is actually the 6th), and that's where I guess I should start. The game play is copied, almost directly. That's okay, though! I love the way the game is set up, don't get me wrong. I mean, we can even kick them and punch them and such, and even in this version we can stomp and impale these Majini (the villains). The one thing that does bug me is the identical introduction of the game. Like Resident Evil 4, you have a succession of little confrontations and then a big one with a bunch of enemies, including a giant that can kill you rather easily, that disappear after a certain time limit. But after that, the game ceases to be Resident Evil 4 for the most part.

Let's get this out of the way. The only other two things that really bugged me were the inventory and the AI of your partner. If you read my RE4 review, you'd know how much I loved the inventory. This game took that away from you and went back to old Resident Evil and gave you a total of 9 spots for any one thing. This means that you have a spot for your gun, for your herb, and some ammo, etc. At any one time, you can carry up to 18 things since you and your partner both get 9 spots. (Another thing that irritates me is having to put your armor in your inventory in order to wear it, but I won't go into that.) I also find it odd that in the PS3 version, our inventories were shared when we had two players, but in the Xbox version, the two players had separate inventories? Weird. But the one thing that I forgive them for is that you can store away items you're not currently using, another thing that the old Resident Evil games had.

The AI of this game is also a bit questionable. You have enemies that can ambush you, know where you were in order to shoot you, and can pull out any sort of tricks to kill you, and yet your partner is very dumb. She'll sit around and continually shoot whatever moves and waste her bullets. It's sorta nerve-racking and it's here I tell you that you should play with a friend whenever possible. I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that, and it's the truth.

Even after all that, I have to give this game praise for its graphical capabilities, something that the 5 years was beneficial for and I guess I don't mind having to buy a PS3 or Xbox for it. The graphics show immense detail in character, especially concerning body movements, emotions, and all that jazz. The Majini are detailed greatly, even though the same ten or so will always be fighting you, but Capcom did do a good job on varying the bunch. Even some of the B.O.W. bosses were awesomely created and just as grotesque as RE4's. If you wanted to know, El Gigante makes a guest appearance, though in this game he is called Ndesu and there's only one of him.

If you remember when I said that the RE4's music till held some survival horror elements in it, this game completely breaks away from that. At least that is how I felt. I didn't feel as creeped out in this game, and having a partner to watch your back is also beneficial in this aspect. I wish the music would have retained some of that, though. But it doesn't take away from it being a good game.

I'm not sure if there's anything else I can really say. This game has a ton of unlockables and the game is really easy to and fast to beat, especially after beating it once. Play more and you can get money and upgrade your weapons, and once they're fully upgraded, you can buy unlimited ammo and play through without having to use any ammo (just imagine going through with a magnum, fully upgraded and infinite ammo? Goodbye, Infinite Rocket Launcher). Like RE4's bottle caps, you can buy some figurines with your points, and there's additional costumes and filter screens. There are a total of four difficulties and a Mercenaries mode. But, really, if you beat the game on Amateur and get infinite ammo, the harder difficulties are a joke.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good game. It just didn't live up to Resident Evil 4 and I don't think any game will really be able to do that. I still won't mind playing this over and over again. I wanna get that magnum and shoot these things and win.

Resident Evil 5 – 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)