Review by ArkhanBladewind

"Yay. RE with Hamster Trails and "run here" blips. If it aint broke, DONT FIX IT"

I grabbed RE5 and it sat on my shelf while I was beating a few other games....

I finally got around to it yesterday. I was extremely excited.

I also beat it yesterday. Needless to say, I am disappointed and want my cash back.

Where to begin?

I put the disc in expecting a great survival horror experience. Replace horror with boredom, and that is what I actually received from this game.

STORY:
----------

The story is alright. You run around Africa chasing a crazy goon around. Bioweapon stuff ensues. What were you expecting? It has all of the Resident Evil story elements one would expect. Sadly, thats about all it has related to Resident Evil. Though, if you take out all of the RE names and characters, it's not really as interesting as I'd like from a brand new PS3 game.

There are some twists, some interesting stuff, and all in all, the story is the only reason I finished the game. Even this was mediocre at best.

Gameplay?
---------------

Wowwwwww. The first semi thought provoking puzzle happens over halfway into the game. It was 2nd grade difficulty. I had more problems trying to figure out which control scheme I was most comfortable with. The new "strafe" related ones are garbage.

The weapons are fun. You get to upgrade them and pick and choose what you like. I ran around with the rifle and shot everyone in the head for the majority of the game. All in all, there is a weapon for any kind of shooter.

...and a stun rod. Probably the most amusing weapon in the game. It is an electrified baseball bat.

Sometimes though, it seems like the aiming lazer is just being idiotic. Youll be aimed at something and it will go through it. I blame the strange over the shoulder camera angle. It causes problems frequently in the game. They should have stuck to the usual setup...it worked every other time, so why change it?

the action is fun, but that is kind of the problem. Gone are the problem solving and exploring aspects of the game. All you do is run around hamster trail style levels, and shoot stuff, then get to the radar blip, repeat, boss battle (The bosses are all ridiculously easy. I defeated most of them with the SNIPER RIFLE), repeat. It is monotonous. They throw in some minigames like "use the machine gun to kill the rabid African motorcyclists" and "get to the dock before you blow up", but that along with the now-standard "press R1+L1 or some other button combination" action scenes make this game no different than any other action game. It has essentially lost its Resident Evil-ness. What a shame. Alot of times it felt like a certain other spelunking game with a certain gloriously-developed female acrobatic babe toting 2 pistols....only youre looking at a big bulky dude with a funny shaped head, so it is not nearly as pleasing.

OH, and you have the worlds most useless partner, Sheva. All she does is get in your way, waste all the ammo she finds, and use healing items like theyre candy. I let the Chainsaw-Men kill her a few times just to laugh at the scene of her head being removed. She was only useful one time, and that was when I flung her up a ladder and she was out of my way for ~5 minutes.

I considered giving her empty guns, and ammo for a different gun type so incase I needed machine gun bullets, I didnt have to realize she spent 150 bullets shooting 2 people.

Music...and sound
-------------------------

I can't remember any of the music or anything at all actually. Mostly just the yelling African rabid-folk wielding garden equipment and wrenches......., and the gore sounds. They were nice though... The music is/was pretty stale.... It didn't even have that ominous and creepy stuff you hear in other RE games.

Replayability
-----------------

I traded it in already. It was such a disappointing game. I guess you could go back and find more treasures and get better rankings, but I myself was content with one completion. I wasn't driven to get more endings or mess around in it like I was with RE 1 , 2, 3 and Code Veronica. Maybe someone will post a 100% save and I'll rebuy the game when its in the bargain bin. It should already be there now.

All in all, I'd say rent the game. You could probably rent it from a 1 night place and sit and beat it in <6 hours and save yourself from wasting 59.99 like I did. Resident Evil 5 is a hamster trail mess that is starting to move towards being just like every other run of the mill, cliche, shallow action game on 360 , ps3 and PC.

Sad, really.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/26/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)