Review by anerod

"Resident Evil's extreme makeover."

Capcom is one of the best game developers in my opinion. Resident Evil 5 is there to prove it. Although it may not be Capcom's best, Resident Evil 5 still deserves praise.

First glance:
For those of you who downloaded the demo (like I did), I'm sure you were all excited for the actual game to be released. When the full game was released, everything about it was great. The box art looked cool, the title screen was catchy and gameplay was smooth. Although the Resident Evil series was meant to be a survival horror series, the fifth installment doesn't seem very scary.

Graphics:
As always, PS3 graphics are amazing because of the Blu-ray technology. Resident Evil 5 looks realistic and the shading are outstanding. Textures and landscapes are stunning. The effects and animation for physical attacks are smooth. Rating: 10/10

Sound:
The background music when enemies are present makes the atmosphere feel scarier and a lot more tense. Voice acting seems "forced", as if the developers put certain lines in just because they thought it would sound cool. The voices fits the characters well though. Rating: 9/10

Gameplay:
As I said earlier, gameplay's smooth and easy to learn. There's an option for changing the controls to the classic Resident Evil 4 controls. There's a lot of new physical attacks that you can use. The 3-hit combo you can do on the enemies is awesome. The action makes up for the lack of survival horror aspect. Also, you can't move while aiming. I guess it was meant to intensify the game. Rating: 10/10

Complaints:
My biggest complaint in this game, as other fans would guess, is the inventory system. Resident Evil 4's attache case system worked well, even though you had to pause the game. Resident Evil 5's system only lets you have 9 slots (18 along with your partner's) to hold equipment and other items. Also, Capcom's mistake again is that when you and you're partner's inventory are full and you want to pick up a herb, you can't immediately use it but instead you have to discard an item from your inventory and pick up the herb and then use it. This was especially useful in Resident Evil 4. What baffles me the most is that when you wear armor, it takes up a slot in your inventory which doesn't make sense. My other complaint is the dialogue. Like I said earlier, some of the lines are "forced" and the dialogue doesn't seem to flow very well.

Replay value:
Resident Evil 5 kept me hooked to this date. The story is somewhat long, and finishing it in other difficulties gives you other goodies and trophies (if you're into that). Mercenaries also makes its return with more stages and characters to play with. There's also leaderboards for mercenaries to compete for the highest score. If that's not enough, you can choose to purchase the DLC (downloadable content) "Versus Mode", for $5 where you can play against other players around the world (online). You can choose to play "Survivors" and kill other players or "Slayers" to kill the most enemies to earn the highest score. Although, I think this DLC should have been released with the game, and not as a DLC. Nonetheless, versus mode keeps me hooked until today. Versus mode forces you to be strategic and forces you to make the right choices. Rating: 10/10

Final Verdict:
9/10
Although it has its downs, Resident Evil 5 is a great game. For fans, Resident Evil 5 is a must. However, if you're new to the series, I suggest you download the demo first, then decide from there. If you're looking for a scare, you won't find it here.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/03/09

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)