Review by 1983guy

"What happened to survival horror?"

Well, here we have Resident Evil 5. After the disaster that was 4 I was really hoping for a good game this time around. I mean this is Capcom, the game company that has dominated survival horror for the past dozen or so years. I was very excited to learn that the main characters from the original Resident Evil would all be featured together in a main series game again.

But that's about all it has going for it!

The game follows in the basic footsteps of RE4 and doesn't really try to do a lot of different things. I will say right off that yes the graphics looks fantastic and you can certainly tell where all the effort and budget went into this game, because it certainly wasn't the story or gameplay.

I am a long time Resident Evil and survival horror fan. I know the genre inside and out and I was there from the beginning of this series, buying every game, every comic book, novel, you name it. But I have completely lost faith in Capcom's ability to make a good survival horror game. With RE4 they made a huge change in the direction of the series but still kept a horror theme at least. Not this time around. It's like watching a Rambo movie!

For starters, a lot of the action takes place in the daytime. Now is it just me or is night always scarier than day? Well Capcom doesn't think so but I guess they're not going for scares these days. The annoying chapter system from before is still here...I don't know who thought that would be a good idea because it's awful.

There's very little challenge to the game, even on the harder modes. If you're having difficulty progressing, well guess what you can choose to go back and play previous chapters over and over to collect money to upgrade your weapons until you can blast your way through the chapter you were stuck on. And don't worry about ammo! You'll never run low on that because the stuff is lying all around you!

The co-op is awful. Who ever thought co-op in a survival horror game would be good? The whole point of survival horror was that you were alone and trying to just survive and not having to kill everything in sight. In Resident Evil 5 you are forced to have a partner who mainly gets in the way more than anything else. The AI partner just waste her ammo, healing items, always hands you items you don't need, etc. It's a joke and has no business in a Resident Evil game. I didn't play the game with an online partner as I'm not really fan of online gaming and thought that would be very odd for a game like Resident Evil.

The game environments look like something out of a Tomb Raider game. I mean you have ancient caves, tribal lands, forest, etc. Whatever happened to a good old mansion or police station? Or even the streets of an infected city?

You can sense I don't like this game or the direction the series has gone and you'd be right. Capcom have ruined what was once a great series and there's no reason to have faith they will ever try to correct themselves. Skip this and load your copy of Resident Evil 2, you'll be glad you did.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 09/24/10

Game Release: Resident Evil 5 (US, 03/13/09)