Review by Gamerater66

"Sonic's just not as fast as he is in Sonic Colors"

2006. A year that was overlooked for gamers. The GameCube ended, the Wii started, and the PS3 started in Europe. There were some games that made good awards, that's good overall. However, there were some that plain sucked. Sonic 2006 was one of them. While some liked it, some hated it to the point of rage. As always, I have to break it down:

Plot: 5

I'd say Sonic 2006's plot is by far average. It's not too bad, but not too good either.

In Soleanna, the Sun Festival's ceremony is ruined by Dr. Eggman, who seeks the Disaster Flames from Princess Elise, as well as her Chaos Emerald. Throughout time travel do the 3 hedgehogs Sonic, Shadow, and Silver eventually restore peace to the world. In the end, the story warps back to the start, so that nothing happened, while Elise realizes that Solaris (that one being of all evil) was just a white flame. Elise blows out the flame to restore peace, and the Sun Festival starts.

Gameplay: 1

MY. GOD. The gameplay on Sonic 2006 is just evil. Annoying glitches, a bad camera, and horrendous speeds made for atrocious gameplay. Even SEGA should be ashamed of themselves!

Controls: 3

The controls are almost a pile of garbage on an already flawed game. Not only do they feel clumsy - they are clumsy too. The controls alone made me stop playing after I even beat the game itself. The only thing that works is the D-pad to move Sonic around.

Music: 10

OK, so this is the only perfect thing about the game itself. Wave Ocean: The Inlet, His World, and the other songs are great songs in an otherwise flawed game. SEGA, you did what you could, but the game it still bad for some other factors.

Graphics: 8

The graphics are good in my opinion, which is good for a flawed Sonic game. That's because Sonic games should always have good graphics as always, which they still did in 2006. However, they don't deserve any more points because they can screw up.

Visuals: 6

Every visual in the game is a sight to behold. However, there's one exception to this: the place where Solaris is fought. It feels creepy, and it feels like the world's ending (especially with His World playing).

Ending: 1

The ending was not enjoyable at all for me.

Everyone reverses time to the very start, where Elise, as a kid, blows out the flame of Solaris. Then the Sun Festival starts again. Do I really need to say much more than that? Nope.

Conclusion:

With all that said, it was truly such a shame for SEGA to put out this game on the market. The gameplay is bad. The controls are very hard. The ending was bad too. Sure, the Sonic games coming after 2006 were getting better, and Sonic Colors was cake with that. But do you think that Sonic 2006 will ever be remade some day? Quite possibly.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/27/12

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog (US, 01/30/07)