Review by kingdodongo1

"A game that barely misses legend status."

Assassins Creed is a game that gives from beginning to end. Whetheer it's the combat system, the gorgeous graphics, or the engrossing story, I can almost assure you this game will give you chills. The good kind.

The first thing you will notice about Assassins Creed is the stunning graphics. The game looks almost photorealistic and is rivaled by very few games in the visuals department. Even more surprising is the ability of the game to run at a perfect sixty frames per second throughout. The landscapes are massive and only a system like the PS3 or 360 could run it smoothly. The areas are large scale, but you wont ever see a backround building pop into place. Even the small details, like peoples facial expressions are nearly flawless. The graphics are awe-inspiring. Especially the eagle in the opening scene. I swear it scared the bajeebus outta me.

Next is the sound. While the game doesnt innovate all that much in terms of music, the voices are expertly done and the sound effects are spectacular. As I stated, the music is a little lackluster, but the voices OMG! It sounds like you are talking to a real person.

The story in Assassins Creed is kind of...um...absurd. Not so much ridiculous as it is hard to follow. You are Desmond, a man being held by scientists attempting to "unlock" his memories with an animus. The memories serve as the missions you play as Altair. These are the bulk of the game and are loads of fun. This is especially good, as the Desmond missions generally include "walk to your bed" and "listen to an old man talk". Altair is an Assassin who makes a bad decision and is demoted to the lowest rank. Also, he is stripped of all his weapons. You complete assassinations to grow in rank and what you are armed with. About halfway through you will see these aren't random killings. These murders actually have interconnecting meanings. Then, the ending is a clifhanger. Obviously, Ubisoft doesn't fell the need to explain anything.

The controls of Assassins Creed deserve a lot of the credit for making this game so good. They call the controls a "Marionette " system. Different buttons coorespond to different parts of the body. Although this is unique, you probably wont even notice by the mid-point of the game. My favorite control gimmick is changing camera angles during cutscenes. This allows you to get a better view. Rather than Altairs vision of a mans broken leg, you cans see the mans vision. It isn't much, but it is cool.

All in all, very few bad things can be said about Assassins Creed. The story is a little wild and the game is very easy. These, however, are minor flaws that barely take from the awesome experience of Assassins Creed.

I give it 9 eye sockets stabbed by a hidden blade...out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/05/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)