Review by isaac180296

"A game with great potential, but with big flaws."

Welcome to my review of Assassin's Creed for the PS3. This game could have been great, and is, indeed, very enjoyable. However, a few flaws pull down its score.

Gameplay

In this game you can essentially just run wild. You have a choice of four weapons at your disposal. These are accessed by the directional pad, making them easy to select. The Up button selects a short hidden dagger, which can be used to assassinate anyone quickly and quietly. Down selects your fists, which are only really used at the beginning of the game, when you have no weapons, or when you're interrogating someone. The Right Button selects a sword, useful when you are surrounded by foes. And finally, the Left Button: This selects some throwing knives, which you can get by pick pocketing thugs. When you are out of knives, you pull out a short knife, which looks very cool.

So, with all these cool weapons, you'd think the fighting would be great. And you'd be right. Fighting enemies is very fun, and easy to control. You lock onto targets using L1, and can simply slash away at them, or, you can wait for the enemy to attack, and then strike. Using R1 and Square at this point will do a counter attack, which either instantly kills them, or knocks them to the ground. There are many of these, both for knife and sword, and are very fun to do.

However, the missions you have to do are incredibly repetitive. In order to assassinate one of your targets, you must first collect information about them. To do this you must complete three tasks, which can be eavesdropping, interrogating someone; pick pocketing someone, or an informer (somebody asks you to kill someone, in exchange for information). These tasks are very easy to do, and get very repetitive. Then comes the kill. You can either go for the stealth approach, by creeping up to your target and shoving a concealed dagger in his throat, or you can run in with your sword drawn and start killing the dozens of guards that come at you. This is not so much of a challenge, as fighting is pretty easy.

This brings me to running away. Should you need to run away from guards… or the crazy men in the street that push you… or the beggars that constantly harass you… it's quite easy to do so. You can try the ‘run like hell' approach, where you basically sprint and try to dodge any civilians you can (hitting them will trip you up), until you come to some straw or something which you can hide in, until the incompetent guards stop right in front of it and say ‘It's no good, we lost him.'. Or, you can climb up a building (you can climb up most), and jump from rooftop to rooftop. This approach is both faster, and more fun. Unfortunately, there are sometimes archers, and the guards are surprisingly good at climbing. Also, when you're climbing up, those mean guards throw stones at you, making you fall if you're hit. Anyway, once you get out of sight on the rooftops, you can hide in a convenient rooftop box.

Both hiding in straw and in a rooftop box make sense. What does not, however, is sitting on a bench. When you're out of sight, just sit on a bench, and you become invisible. Try it next time you're in a high speed chase with the police.

There is also another story in this game, but I wouldn't want to ruin it for you.

Graphics and Sound

The graphics are amazing. There are lots of big cities, and each is detailed and looks beautiful. When surveying the city from a high building, it looks amazing. Considering so many people are always on-screen, I think they did a really good job of it.

Unfortunately, this game has a lot of little glitches. When there's an out-of-place scholar standing on the bench in an Assassin's Bureau, or some guy's head literally sticking out of some stairs, it's quite funny and harmless. What is not funny, however, is when you've just completed an assassination, and the game decides it's time to freeze. It does this a lot, and it can be very frustrating.

The music is ok, and the voice acting is very good. A lot of people complain about Altair's voice actor, but I think it's fine.

Replayabilty

This game is very repetitive to start with, and when you finish, there are a few tasks you can do, none of which are very fun. Basically just collecting flags and killing templars. I sold this game when I completed it. Not too good, I'm afraid.

Controls

Essentially, different buttons control different parts of Altair's body. I like this, and it's easy to control.

Conclusion

A fairly decent game, but it could have been so much more. They're currently working on a patch for the freezing, I think, so maybe wait for that. The sheer repetition can be very annoying, but overall it's fun. Perhaps they should have spent more time on this game.

Buy or Rent: It's 15 or so hours of Gameplay, so you could probably complete it with a rent, and it won't be so much fun after you've completed the story mode. Plus it costs a lot, so I suggest a rent.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/07

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (EU, 11/16/07)