Review by MaggotOfEvil

"A well done and immersive storyline...that's about it."

Assassin's Creed was released as the first of a trilogy from Ubisoft in 2007. The game was received by most as over-hyped and with plenty of flaws. I agree with that to a certain extent. Let's jump right in.

Graphics - 7/10
To put it in one word, the graphics are stunning. As this was my first game from the next-gen consoles, I was blown away by the well done character models, the detailed terrain, and the overall design of the game's buildings, roads, fences, etc. Unfortunately this is over shadowed by the games constant shade of grey. There is absolutely no colour in this game at all, from the citys to even the game's menu. Galloping through the countryside on my horse, I felt so depressed and sad, as though the sky was overcast for every second of the day. Creeping across the rooftops to my target, I felt like someone on the run from zombies, and that everyone else was dead. Anyway, if you can get over the grey shadow, AC is very well detailed and certainly not an eyesore.

Story - 9/10
This is probably the only reason I continued playing this game without getting bored. It has one of the best stories with some very good twists. You are Desmond, a man who has been captured by a company, believing your ancestor to have knowledge of an item they seek. Using an "Animus," they are able to see your ancestors genetic memories, which is where the real game is. In the Animus, you are Altair, a feared assassin who, after messing up an attempt to steal a Templar treasure, was demoted and must prove himself to the creed that he is worthy to be in their ranks. Without going into to much detail, the plot takes a turn and Altair begins questioning his loyalty. The story has plenty of twists and interwines perfectly with the "real world."

Gameplay - 2/10
The most important part of the game, and it is dreadful. Both the combat and "adventure" aspect are done poorly and you will often find yourself frustrated at times. In the earlier part of the game, you can slay any enemies with an easy attack combo. Later on, enemies start blocking ALL of your attacks and you wll 99% of the time be standing there, holding R1 and waiting for an enemy to move to counter. Sounds simple, right? Wrong. Eventually, your enemies will just doing block breakers half the time, and you will constantly be throwing your controller around getting very angry. As for the adventure aspect, scaling walls can be done by holding R1 + X and whatever direction you want to go....that's if he goes there. Your character - especially whilst on the run from guards - goes up walls, hides in buildings, bumps people - pretty much anything EXCEPT what YOU want to do.

In closing, I highly recommend a rental. If you can get used to the basic but frustrating combat system, dull graphics and repetitive gameplay, you will enjoy the marvelous story much more.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (AU, 11/21/07)