Review by XPeaceChill

"A man once said "Nothing is true, everything is permitted", but it's true that this game is great!"

Assassin's Creed is, in my opinion, one of the best historical games of all time. The game takes place in the times of the Third Crusade, and the game gives this time period a very unique feel to it. It's different from all the generic games that take place in modern times, and I like this. I've always had a feeling since I saw the commercial for it that it would be a very unique and promising title. Without further ado, let's get started!

Gameplay:

Gameplay, the best thing about Assassin's Creed. To start off, your character, Altair, has two “modes”. Low Profile and High Profile. Low Profile lets the player do things like blending, (making Altair pray, thus taking on the form of a Monk or Scholar) taking your weapon out, gently pushing, and Eagle Vision, which lets the player see who is his/or ally, enemy, and so on. High Profile lets the player attack, jump, and grab, along with the Eagle Vision. The control for this game is so smooth. Just giving a few prompts can make Altair do amazing things, like scaling giant buildings, jumping from extreme heights, and countering an enemy's attack. Jumping from structure to structure is as simple as holding the RI button and pressing “X” (on the PS3 version). But all of that is just free roaming. Then there's the combat. Your character has four means of attacking. His fists, his sword, his short blade/throwing knives, and his hidden blade. The fists are for interrogations, and all out brawls, the sword and short blade are obviously for full blown combat, the throwing knives for taking out distant foes, and the hidden blade, for shady assassinations. The combat, however, is a bit broken. Once you learn how to counter, you've pretty much beaten every foe in the game. If an enemy swings at you, and you press the correct buttons for a counter, which isn't that hard to remember, you'll get an instant kill, at least on the weaker enemies. Because of this, the game itself isn't that hard, and the worst you'll be stuck on anything may be two or three attempts. You may find yourself dying from jumping from high buildings more than in combat. In the game, you're sent out to kill 9 men. It's usually kill, return to master, kill, return to master, and on and on. This gives the game a “repetitive” reputation. However, in my opinion, it's only repetitive if you make it that way. There are many side quests, like saving citizens, killing Templars, and finding flags.

Story:
There are actually two main stories to this game. You are a man in the year 2012 named Desmond Miles, a former Assassin. Desmond is kidnapped by a mysterious company named Abstergo. The two scientists who have him in their lab, Lucy Stillman, who, out of the two, is the nicer and more caring one, and Warren Vidic, an impatient and generally angry man, who is racing against an unknown “deadline” that his higher ups have assigned him to. The project he is working on is actually putting Desmond in a machine called an Animus. The Animus is a machine that can let people relive the memories of their ancestors. In this case, Desmond is reliving memories as Altair. The scientists hope to get a very precious item by doing this. Back in the Third Crusade, where Altair is. Altair is an expert Assassin who had done something that compromised the Creed, early on in the game. His master, Al Mualim, demotes him to a lowly Assassin. Altair, to redeem himself, is sent to kill 9 men who know of a powerful treasure, the Piece of Eden, an artifact more powerful than anything even the 21st century has ever seen. It seems a little unoriginal at first, but there's a few plot twists along the way.

Sound and Graphics:
The game is simply gorgeous. When I first saw the trailer, not knowing it was even a game at the time, I thought it was live acting. Not only in the cut scenes, but in game play too. As for the sound, the game attempts to give off the feeling that you're in the Third Crusade, and it does a great job of it.

Play Time/Replayability:

If you go by the way I play it, two or three main Assassinations a day, then it could take about a week if you're a slower gamer. All the extras take up some time too. As for replayability, I personally think it has quite a high replay value, IF you make the game the best you can. Don't make it repetitive like most people. Put your own style into how you play.

Final Recommendation:

Buy this game. It keeps you entertained, and it's got a pretty deep storyline that will keep you playing until you find out what happens.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/09

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)