Review by MikhailaC

"Where the Game's Opening Movie is Its Best Feature..."

The game's opening film was impressive; perhaps too impressive. I was hoping for a brilliant action-adventure game with detailed graphics, an intriguing story, and exciting gameplay; what I ended up with was a game I got tired of within the first fifteen minutes of playing it. Assassin's Creed is not without it good points however; far from it. The storyline is unique, the graphics are good, the music is excellent, and the control is fluid for the most part. And any and all problems with the aforementioned might be forgiven if not for the game's fatal flaw: the gameplay is incredibly tedious. As I'd mentioned before, the first fifteen minutes or so were interesting but then a pattern quickly became apparent and I was hit with the terrible realization that I was going to be doing the same three or four "investigations" ad nauseum. Talk to the leader of the assassins, travel to a city via horseback, scan surroundings, pickpocket, eavesdrop, fight a leader's minions, assassinate said leader, and travel back to the assassins' leader to speak with him...repeat. And repeat. And repeat. There were times when I was absolutely certain that sometime (and sometime soon!) the game would switch up its gameplay, and I kept hoping while I trudged through the game minute after excruciating minute that that would happen only to be ultimately disappointed. Also, once the control scheme is learnt, the game suddenly becomes too easy to present any kind of challenge. Coupled with the game's incredibly repetitive nature, its simplicity only worsens the player's experience. A game may have good graphics, good sound, and good controls, but if the gameplay itself is not interesting at all, then what's the point in playing it?

Now for some irresistible nitpicking. First of all, the game's plot, while at first intriguing soon disintegrates into a ridiculous and overblown mess that hovers between the realms of moralistic preachiness and futuristic flim-flam, neither one of which I find compelling. In fact, during the game's cut-scenes, I found myself quickly tuning out, and I'm normally a sucker for story. Also, while most of the game's voice-acting was excellent, the player's avatar's was noticeably bad. It sounded like he was reading aloud from an encyclopaedia, that is to say, completely devoid of expression. I can't help but wonder if he was as uninterested in the script as I quickly became. The game also suffers from the serious problem of freezing -- I've read other reviewers mentioning this so I know it's not just my gaming system --, and slowdowns, both of which required me to shut down my playstation and restart it. With a game as disappointing as Assassin's Creed, I felt the two minutes or so it took me to shutdown, restart, and reload it ultimately not worth the effort.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/17/10

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)