Review by Cymery

"A Unique New Idea"

Assassin's Creed was my third that I bought after getting the PS3 last year. I had heard nothing about it, knew nothing about the story or even what the gameplay was like. I had heard that it was good from friends and bought it blindly second hand. It wasn't a bad decision on the whole as it opened up a unique new idea.

Story: 8/10 - The story takes place both in the past and either the future or a more advanced present. The main character is a guy called Desmond he's been taken captive by a corporation/organization called Abstergo Industries. Desmond hasn't been taken captive because of something he knows but by something that his ancestor knew. Desmond is put into a machine that can hack his DNA and experience what his ancestors did. There's more to the story then that but I try not to spoil anything for anyone.

Graphics: 7/10 - The graphics aren't anything special. For the most part the scenery is the same thing throughout the game. The characters are kind of bland and for a PS3 game the graphics could have been and well should have been better. On a positive note the games graphics is bright but not bright enough to blind you. Another positive is that the cities and buildings that do exist in the past aim for historical accuracy and do a pretty good job of it.

Sound: 7/10 - To tell the truth I don't really remember any music existing in the game. I'm sure that there is some but nothing comes to mind. The voice acting is pretty decent but the npc's voices get really annoying. Trust me you'll understand once you hear the guards yell and a few other npc's come to mind as well.

Gameplay: 9/10 - This is the games best feature after the story. You can run, jump, climb, ride horses, leap from tall buildings into a pile of hay, and all sorts of other cool things. The fighting is pretty basic but the assassinations is what the game is all about and there are multiple ways to kill people. My first complaint with the gameplay I have is that the assassin can't swim. Its kind of sad that he can do all sorts of leaping about on rooftops and yet if he falls into water he drowns. Second complaint is that it takes a long time to travel when riding a horse I know that the other places are supposed to be far away but a teleport feature would've been nice once you arrived in that place.

Overall: 7/10 - There are a lot of features about Assassin's Creed that makes it worth playing but unless you can find it in the bargain bin for $10 I'd seriously recommend renting it or borrowing it from a friend. The game is short about 25 hours max and there is no point to replay after the story is over. The missions get repetitive and before the game is over you will not be bothering to complete everything. The story is decent and continues on in Assassin's Creed 2. The environment is alright but nothing special and the soundtrack is basically none existent. The game isn't bad but it could have been a lot better and the game developers came up with a unique idea which they should be congratulated for.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/11

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)