Review by JackyBoyJaneyGi

"A Great Start to the Series"

Assassin's Creed (PS3) Review
By Stephanie Smith

Assassin's Creed, a series that became very popular in the seventh generation of gaming. It was developed by Ubisoft Montreal and released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. It's a historical action-adventure open world stealth video game taking place mostly during the Third Crusade in the Holy Land in the year 1191. Now, I don't really claim to know a lot about World History so I can't really explain what the Holy Land or Third Crusade is but from what I gather, the Third Crusade took place between 1189 &1192 and was an attempt by European leaders to reconquer the Holy Land (which is known as the Land of Israel). They never really explain what these things are in the game though.

The game actually takes place in modern times and you really play as a bartender named Desmond Miles who is placed in a machine known as the “Animus” which allows one to view and control your ancestor's genetic memories. In this case, you control the memories of Altair ibn-La'Ahad who is a member of the Assassins whose job was to assassinate people they deem corrupt or dangerous to the way of freedom. What the people in recent times are looking for is known as a “Piece of Eden” which was an ancient artifact that is used to control minds which is literally the forbidden apple foretold in the Book of Genesis in the Bible which I personally think is a bunch of bs, but that's my opinion. But that's not the bad part, the Assassins are trying to find the Pieces of Eden believing they can control the world's population to prevent the end of the world on December 21st, 2012 an event that clearly was a bunch of bs and already passed by. So the story itself is really dumb and the scenes with Desmond are boring and lifeless, but at least the game is a lot of fun.

The gameplay with Altair is the main interest in the game and I wish it were possible to skip the scenes with Desmond because nobody really cares about them. The goal is to carry out a series of assassinations ordered by the leaders of the Assassins, Al Mualim. To achieve this goal, you must travel from the Brotherhood's headquarters in Masyaf across the terrain of the Holy Land known as the Kingdom to one of three cites – Jerusalem (which according to the Bible is where the crucifixion of Jesus Christ took place), Acre and Damascus. These are real cities by the way and are still around. You go to the cities and find a Brotherhood agent who both provides you with a safe house and information about the target. But the agent doesn't know much and you have to help local people or undercover agents who will give you clues as to how to take out your target. These missions include: eavesdropping, interrogation, pickpocketing and collecting stuff within a time limit. You can also partake in a number of side quests such as climbing tall towers to map out the city and saving citizens who are being threatened or harassed by the city guards. Other side quests include hunting down and killing Templars who are the enemy and collecting flags, but the man goal is to carry out your assassination. After you complete an assassination, you are returned to the Brotherhood and rewarded with a better weapon and given a new target to assassinate.

The game is all about stealth and keeping a low profile like how many assassinations are carried out. You can blend in with the crowd or hide in haystacks. Your weapons include throwing knives, using a sword and the hidden blade which are very helpful to make quick and quiet assassinations which prevent you from being noticed. Things that garner attention is climbing up buildings in front of a crowd and attacking foes with a sword. Once the guards are on alert and aware of your presence and danger, the crowd scatters and the guards attempt to kill you. To break free of the alert status, you either have to kill all the guards or run away and try to lose them.

The player's health is described as the level of “Synchronization” between Desmond and Altair's memories. If Altair suffers an injury, you lose part of the synchronization rather than physical damage, even killing innocent people results in loss of synchronization. If you lose all synchronization, you are sent back to the last checkpoint. When the sync bar is full, you can identify your targets using “Eagle Vision” which displays your allies in blue, foes in red and your assassination target in gold.

I won't spoil the story though, but I will say it's confusing, not well written, the characters have no personalities and the story is historically inaccurate. Also scientists have shown that DNA does not hold the memories of our ancestors, that is just stupid. There are a couple other complaints I have with this game such as not being able to swim, the fact you can only make one save file, not a large variety of weapons, no trophies and the worst of all is once you beat the game and you just want to explore, you have to select a mission in order to do so and can't skip all the dialogue or cutscenes which really drives my patience and this happens every time you restart the console. But the game is really good though. The graphics and presentation are an A plus, the cities looking amazing, the crowd is large and full of life, it's fun climbing up buildings, the physics are pretty good. It's just an amazing game that takes advantage of the bad storyline. It just kicks so much freaking ass.

FINAL RATING: 8 out of 10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/15/14

Game Release: Assassin's Creed (US, 11/13/07)