Review by wolverinefan

"Best golf game on the PS3"

I greatly dislike golf in all forms of entertainment. Be it in person, playing, on the T.V. or in video game form. However I must admit that I have a soft spot for the Hot Shots Golf series. It all started on the PS1 and while I don't own any of the games besides the PSP port I always end up renting them. For the record though I rarely, if ever, buy a sports game.

For the first PS3 entry we get some much needed on-line play and just some general updates to the game play. There is also a new type of swinging that I couldn't get the hang of so I really didn't mess around with it much.

This is one beautiful game to look at. The courses are rich with colors and the character still have their cute cartoon look to them. What I found amusing was that claps and cheers also appeared in words about the people. It's a nice little touch.

The voices are a little annoying at times but you can turn the crowd off. However you're still stuck hearing your golfer repeat their phrases over and over. Not too big of a deal as I didn't mind the few characters I played as.

I'm surprised that this game doesn't feature any Sixaxix controls but that's fine because the game controls good. I used the basic hitting technique and that has you just hitting X at specific spots on a meter. Rather simple really. You can spice up the action by hitting triangle first and that can give you a little power boost.

On the game play side of things we have challenge mode, tee off and training. I only played in challenge mode which I find to be very enjoyable. You start off as a novice and work your way up. There are 8 or so cups per class. Most are typical 8 hole rounds and some are special cups that require certain rules like use the advance swing set-up ect. Once you fill your meter you can then access a vs match of 8 holes and if you win you get that character and you can go to the next class.

Some cups offers a general reward while others let you pick a random award by selecting one of 6 upside down cards. These items are new clubs or new clothes for the on-line play.

As you use your character they will gain loyalty and get little boosts to power, swing, ect. So the game rewards you for constantly using one character but you can level them all up to level 15 I believe.

On-line play is a very welcome addition but it has a few tiny hiccups along the way. There is no in game chat and you don't see each other making their shot. It's kind of nice that you don't have to see everyone swing as that would take up a lot more time but I can see why some would like the option to see that.

There is also no voice chat, only text chat in the lobby. The lobby setup is nice. Up to 50 people can be in a specific lobby and you run around, jump on stuff, chat and set up matches. What I liked about setting up matches you can do one now or if you meet someone set one up for a specific time which I think is a cool idea and works better as you can kind of plan your evening if you want to and it makes the entire experience a little more sociable.

I had no problems with the actual on-line play. It ran smoothly with no problems and it was a lot of fun. A large group of people can be in a tournament or just a small group. It's up to you.

You also get to create your little character for the lobbies. You have some slightly interesting preset stuff if you're just wanting to hope on-line right away but you can change him or her up as you gain new clothes and styles.

All in all this was a very fun game. I found myself addicted to it and I just couldn't stop playing it at times. I kept going back for just one more round and it moves at a speedy pace so it never really drags. It has a good on-line group and it seemed very lively for a game being only a few days old. I'd recommend this to any fans of the series and if you're looking for a good golf game then I think this is the one to get as the Tiger Woods titles have bee weak lately.

Story - N/A
Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 8/10
Control - 10/10
Game Play - 9/10
Replay Value - 9/10

Final Score - 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/25/08

Game Release: Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (US, 03/18/08)