Review by wolverinefan

"Solid gold for the PS3"

Uncharted is the latest game from naughty Dog whom I'm a big fan of. I played the demo of this game the day it was released and was surprised by how difficult the game was. But that doesn't matter. What matters is, is the game any good? Does Sony have an AAA title on their hands or another Lair?

Nathan Drake has a film crew watching him pull his ancestor, the great Sir Francis Drake, coffin out of the ocean. Only it's empty but what he finds is a map. A map that leads him on an adventure like no other. Uncharted plays out much like I expect the new Indiana Jones film will. The plot is good. It constantly remains solid and despite a small hiccup near the end that I liked but a few dislike I thought the game had a really well done plot. Lots of twists to it.

Graphically the game is great. It's on par with last years Gears of War and despite that game coming out a year ago, nothing has reached that level of detail. The jungles in Uncharted breathe with life and the towers, caves and everything else really make it feel like a real world.

Not only that but the way Nathan moves is very realistic. From each jump to each roll. It's amazing how far the motion capture has come along. Even the enemy animations are up there in the realism.

The game also has some great sound as well. The music is great. Fits the action adventure theme really well. The voice work is top notch and not a single one let me down. The sound effects are also good with the crumbling rocks and the sound of each gun.

The controls are nicely done as well. Writing this review I don't remember any motion controls at all which is a mild plus. Otherwise I had no trouble leaping across ruins, driving a jet ski or taking cover and gunning down some enemies. It's all very smooth and after 20 minutes with the game it all feels natural.

Uncharted not only has the graphics of gears of War but it also plays a lot like the game. The game itself is fairly linear but each location feels open enough and has enough hidden items that it doesn't feel like your hand is being held.

Not only that but the AI is unpredictable. Sure it always comes from the same spot but it never reacts the same one. One time an enemy may rush you but another time he may duck and crawl through some tall grass. On the harder levels it becomes insanely difficult to survive almost all of the gun fights.

The shooting isn't as straight forward as one would think. Borrowing the not so original idea from gears of War, Uncharted as you taking cover and coming back with your guns blazing. The difference is that your hiding spot will slowly get torn apart by the bullets so you need to be quick.

The plat forming moments and puzzle solving is also nicely done. Jumping is almost magnetic so you rarely fall but it also makes it a little easier so that you don't have to align yourself perfectly. Small margin of error is allowed.

The puzzles don't happen often and while they won't stump you some will require a little thought. Mainly the library section of the game.

The game isn't exactly long. 6 or so hours and I beat it in under 2 days. But I wanted to go right back to it. I wanted the little achievements which unlike the 260 games these give you new cheats, making ofs and other stuff. Rewards that are worth while. Also the game has 60 or so hidden items to find and other stuff. So there is a lot to do and the higher difficulties will take longer as well.

Ultimately I must say Uncharted is in my top 5 of 2007. It's a solid game for the PS3 and one of the systems highlights for the year. It also blows all of the 360 exclusives out of the water for 2007. Some may want to rent it due to the length though but I felt that I got my $50 worth.

Story - 8/10
Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 9/10
Control - 10/10
Game Play - 10/10
Replay value - 7/10

Final Score - 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/08

Game Release: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (US, 11/16/07)