Review by Crazy_Asian_45

"The best PS3 exclusive so far!!"

Uncharted Drake's Fortune is truly an amazing game. It has everything a next-gen game should have: great graphics and sound. This game alone ultimately made me buy a PS3 for many reasons. Maybe it was the graphics, the audio, or the fun gameplay itself. However I think it was the movie-like presentation of the story.

Story:
The story of Uncharted outdoes most games. It has many twists and turns to keep you at the edge of your seat. The story begins with Nathan Drake and a reporter, Elena, discovering the coffin of Sir Francis Drake, but finds it empty except for his diary. The action begins when pirates start attacking Drake. After escaping, Drake eventually finds an uncharted island where the lost treasure of El Dorado is located with the help of his friend Sully. The story itself makes it feel like a movie with great dialogue and cut scenes.

Gameplay:
The Gameplay in Uncharted is solid. You'll have plenty of chances to run and gun, throw grenades and punching pirates in the face. Beating the game makes you rely on hiding behind cover, popping out and shooting. The system is similar to the new Syphon Filters and also has blind fire which allows you to shoot behind cover without exposing yourself to force enemies into cover. The controls have a 30 minute learning curve and are responsive and makes the game easy to play. If you want to precisely throw a grenade you'll have to tilt the Sixaxis up or down to adjust the trajectory of the grenade. The melee combat of Uncharted is fun and cool. The game sometimes goes slow motion when Nate is about to make his final K.O. hit. There are a few different button presses for each combo, however each combo has a bunch of different animations to add variety to the combos. There are parts where you'll have to think strategically since the game doesn't allow you to collect a 1000 bullets and enemies are smart, take cover, and flank you. Some parts that don't involve shooting are puzzles and jumping and shimmying to advance. Puzzles make you think logically with clues from Drake's diary, and only tell you where to look at most. Jumping between to different platforms and ledges adds variety to the gameplay and isn't annoying since most of time you will make the jump. The gameplay overall makes Uncharted enjoyable and fun to play.

Graphics:
The graphics is where Uncharted truly shines. Uncharted has excellent graphics, not the best I ever seen but close. Maybe it is because I am playing it on a standard definition 480p tv, but it still looks very good. Many times I just stand still and look at the scenery and detail of the jungle. As you walk through some tall plants you can see them move away from you as if you are actually walking through it. This game features ragdoll effects in both characters and weapons. When you kill someone for example a set of stairs, the body actually slides or rolls down them. Stepping on the bodies of dead enemies makes them move which is pretty realistic. Weapons also roll down hills and lay on top of bodies instead if just going through them. Another cool detail is that when you reload a M4 for example, you can see Nate tossing the clip to the floor and replacing it. What I have also noticed is that the clip stays on the ground and doesn't disappear , which is pretty cool. The graphics are so good that right after a cinematic cut scene I think that the cut scene is still playing until like 30 seconds later I realize I am getting shot. Just from reading the above you can tell that Naughty Dog has obviously spent a lot of time on the graphics. A neat graphical detail in Uncharted is its water effects. Water looks realistic with ripples and waves moving through it. Also, when Nate walks through water and comes out of it you can see that his pants got wet. But if you dive into a pool of water you can see that his clothes are soaked and dry off gradually. The graphics truly makes Uncharted worth playing over and over again.

Sound:
The sound from Uncharted is what you expect from most games. Each weapon has a different sound when fired. You can hear the cracks of rain hitting concrete. The voice acting does not sound fake. In fact it sounds like well-known actors have been recorded.

Replayability:
The game relatively took me about 12 hours to beat the story on normal. There is not much to do after you finish the game, but there are weapons you can unlock as well as bonuses such as infinite ammo, costumes, and behind the scenes movies by finding hidden treasures and earning rewards such as kill 50 enemies with an M4. There is no multiplayer or co-op which doesn't stop Uncharted from being my favorite Ps3 exclusive.

Rent or Buy:
For those of you on a tight budget I'll say rent but otherwise buy. There are plenty of unlocks and bonuses to keep you playing if you happen to buy this game.

Overall, Uncharted is a great game that is fun to play and has great graphics and story. There aren't many noticeable glitches or flaws, but every game has them. This is what makes Uncharted the best Ps3 exclusive so far.

Pros:
Great story
Great graphics
Fun Gameplay

Cons:
None, but not too noticeable, once in-a-while glitches

Story: 9
Gameplay: 10
Graphics: 10
Sound: 9
Replayability: 7

Overall (average): 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/08

Game Release: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (US, 11/16/07)