Review by MisterMarioMan

"The true fortune is playing this game."

I absolutely loved this game. The characters, the story, the combat, the realism, EVERYTHING. It's as if Indiana Jones and James Bond made a video game together, and that video game was GREAT. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was everything I asked for, and it left me only wanting more and more. Without a doubt, this is one of the best games I have ever played, and you'd would be an idiot not to pick this up.

Nathan Drake, the main protagonist, is an archeologist, hell-bent on uncovering the secret of his grandfathers lost treasure, El Dorado. Drake is such a like-able character, it's unbelievable. He's the kind of guy you want to hate; because you know he's better than you. But honestly? You love him. You simply do, because he's so good about it. The cut scene direction was great, and in every scene you believe whatever he says. He's clever, smart, funny, and great at combat. He's the man we all wish we could be, but it doesn't annoy you. The performance of Drake is so genius and well done you end up loving him by the end. He manages to reach that perfect balance between Indiana Jones and James Bond, and the result is spectacular. Nathan Drake is easily one of the best video game protagonists I've ever seen.

There are other great characters too. Nevaro and Roman provide two of the best villains I've ever seen, both seeming clever and great in combat without being too insane. Eddy Raja also provides a villain, and old enemy of Drake's, but he's the kind of guy who you want to see more of because he's so awesome at his job. Drake has allies too, namely Elena and Sully. The two provide back-up for Drake on his tough mission, and I'll be honest. Elena kind of falls flat. She's your typical female accomplice, and she won't do anything to surprise you at all. Sully is pretty cool, but also has a couple of somewhat unsurprising moments. Drake is the main focus over them though, don't worry.

The story has been done many times before, but it doesn't get to you. This story has enough twists and turns that you'll actually end up being surprised at certain parts that you've been predicting. The way it's told is so well done, and I found myself on the edge of my seat waiting for the next part. The only part that kind of got me was the ending, when it got quite unbelievable(You'll know where) but they provide a good explanation and I decided to cut them some slack. It was a totally out of the blue thing, but they covered for it well, so I had no real problems with it. It may not have been completely necessary, but it helped pull this game out of the norm, so hey.

The combat is simply fantastic. There are plenty of fun guns and hand-to-hand combos that you can use, but the best part about the combat is the great cover system. The cover system is so simple and easy to use, and yet it provides a totally different style of tactics and really makes you think about your next move. Plus it looks really good and real, as if you were actually at the games shoot-outs. I won't lie: It can be a little tedious at times, as sometimes you'll battle waves of enemies before reaching the next part, but it all makes up for it as the battles are so different each time, it's like a whole new section.

For the most part, the game remains very real(again, lost some of it at the end, and you will know where) the characters seem sincere and honest, and it feels like their emotions are real. The acting is top-notch and the cut scenes are so well done you'll feel like you're really there. The expressions on the characters faces look just like the movies. If something has to be real to you to be fun. Then you'll love this game. It's starts to lose its realism towards the end, but press forward, and I swear they'll explain it to you, and it will seem less ridiculous.

So why should you buy this game? Why SHOULDN'T you buy this game!? I loved every minute of it, from beginning to end. It's amazing. Absolutely amazing, with the great hero Nathan Drake in the lead, the shoot-outs being fun, the story being great, and the game feeling very real. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is way too good of a game to pass up, so do yourself a big favor, and make sure you pick this game up. And if the cost is too much for you? Buy it in a Dualshock 3 Bundle and get a free controller too. Trust me: You won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/10

Game Release: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (US, 11/16/07)