Review by Galactus21

"A hidden treasure?"

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was one of the games I wanted to pick up when I bought my PS3. I heard good things about. Uncharted does some things wrong and some things right. It does enough of the good things you keep you interested from start to finish, but it doesn't at any time does anything well enough to make you not want to put the controller down. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a solid game and will provide entertainment through its 10 hour campaign.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune follows a treasure hunter by the name of Nathan Drake. Drake is on the cusp of finding something special, a treasure called El Dorado. His search for this treasure leads him to more than he is bargaining for. Soon he finds himself searching for a treasure while facing mercenaries who will do anything to obtain the treasure themselves. This leads to many firefights throughout the game. For the most part, I felt the story was the game's strongpoint. It was the main reason I kept playing, as it kept me pondering on how the story was going to play itself out.

Throughout the ten hour campaign, I felt the majority of the game play was a rinse and repeat of slaying enemies and platforming elements. The majority of the game will have you take cover behind walls, blocks, or other types of surroundings. During your time spent in cover, the game throws tons and tons of enemies at you. At times the game does a fairly solid job at sending people to outflank. For the most part however, the take cover and shoot methodology got a little stale and repetitive. It also doesn't really help when the majority of the game will have you facing the same enemies.

The platforming in this game was fairly solid. At times, this added element brought a lot to the game because it felt apart of the game. It made the game feel cohesive. You're in the wilderness and these elements require Nate to climb and jump from platform to platform. It felt right and didn't feel forced. In addition, the controls for most of the game felt fairly responsive. With the amount of action that is going on during the game, the controls aren't quite as responsive in these instances. This becomes more apparent as you are trying to shoot and cover as quickly as possible.

The camera system during the game is fairly solid for the most part. The camera follows Nate around fairly efficiently and doesn't get caught in awkward situation for most of the game. For most of the game, the different environments throughout are a nice change of pace. Uncharted also throws puzzles at you here and there. Unfortunately, the puzzles are fairly simple to solve. Had the puzzles been a little harder, it would have added much more depth to the game.

The graphics in the game are fairly good. The character models look good and the game runs at a smooth frame rate. In addition, the character and in game animations are quite good. The in game physics such as an enemy getting shot is quite good as well. The cut scenes are also done very well and are a nice addition in portraying the story. The music throughout the game was also quite good. The voice acting was also quite solid. Overall, there weren't many qualms about the graphics and sound department in this game.

All in all, Uncharted is a fairly solid game. It doesn't do anything spectacular in any one area, but it also doesn't stink up the court in any one area as well. It does some things better in some areas in others. Uncharted does provide an enjoyable storyline, which was the main deciding factor in keeping me going back to the game. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is solid, but I think a rental should suffice.

Gameplay – 7/10
Graphics – 8/10
Sound – 8.5/10
Value – 6/10
Overall – 7.4/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/24/10

Game Release: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (US, 11/16/07)