Review by mgsfreak1688

"Here is the game we've all been waiting for!"

Very few games can do what this game does. Along with Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, and Madden, this game brings people out at midnight, and sells MILLIONS of copies in its first DAY! It's what we have been waiting for, but is it just hype?

Story Line 10/10
I've played every GTA game since GTA 3 and this game easily blows every other games storyline out of the water. The story is very well developed and you actually feel the main character Nikko, along with the characters you play along side with. Coming in from Russia, war vet Nikko Bellic has nothing, in hopes to gain it all in Liberty City. The story is deep, and is at the top with some of the worlds best movies.

Graphics 9/10
Some of the best you will ever see for a GTA game for sure. On HD the game is fantastic. All you need to do is look at the screens and videos on ign, or gamespot and you'll know what your working with. That being said, there are a few MINOR issues. There are a very jaggies here and there through out the map. It's barely noticeable too most, but they are there.

Gameplay 7/10
If you have ever played GTA 3, Vice City or San Andreas, you already know what to expect. The improved driving is most definitely improved. The suspension on the car is wonderful, and really gives each car a unique feel. The shooting mechanics remind me of resident evil 4, but with auto aim. While it feels good, aiming free, the auto aim really annoys the holy hell out of me. It's very difficult at times to shoot the person you actually want to shoot because the auto aim has got your crosshairs on someone else. It's annoying, and more times then not, while in a fire fight, that reason will be the reason you lose any health.

There are no more parachutes, there are no more air planes, the weapon variety took a back seat to all the other GTA games, and the car selection is smaller then you would expect from a next generation game. I don't know how many people in this city drive red cars with gold rims, but it sure is a lot!

Sound 8/10
The gun shots, the tires screetching, and the bodies hitting the floor all sound great. Sound effects in the game are wonderful and are some of the best done in a next generation game. What really brings this category down for me is the radio stations. In the 25 hours that it took me to beat this game, I must have heard the radio stations repeat themselves at least 10-15 times. Mind you half of the story is spent outside of the car. Although the ads in the game will make you laugh out loud many times, it doesn't get funnier the more times you hear it.

Multiplayer 9/10
The multiplayer in the game is fantastic. I promise you have never seen anything like this in any other online game to date. You can race online(my favorite), you can play cops and robbers, deathmatch, team deathmatch and much more, with the entire city wide open to you! The only thing that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about this mode is the way its set up. The briefing rooms are pretty plain, and there are no true menu's that give the mode an authentic look. Although it's nothing to be too worried about.

Buy or Rent? I'll put it this way, if you have ever played any of the GTA's last gen, then you have played this one. It does everything right, but it's more of the same. For a game that was in development for 4 years, I expected more out of it. After the story is over, you have the option of doing 9 assassination missions. Other then that, unless you have ADD and like going around the city blowing up stuff for pointless reasons, there is really not much more to do. Unless you like hunting for "hidden packages" aka flying rats, or finding the unique jumps, there is not much more to do. I bought it, I do like the game, but it is not worthy of the best game ever. It's great, but we've already seen it before.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/06/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (US, 04/29/08)