Review by flowaz

"The most hyped game of the year has arrived..."

Here's my GTA IV review...

The City - 10/10
Just.... wow. Liberty City is simply amazing. As you probably know it's based on New York City and has 4 out of the 5 boroughs; The Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. Rockstar didn't include the 5th borough, Staten Island, because they didn't think it would be an interesting or fun place to play in.

The 4 boroughs are re-named as Algonquin (Manhattan), Broker (Brooklyn), Dukes (Queens) and Bohan (The Bronx). You also play in Alderny, which is based on New Jersey and is next to Algonquin. There are also 3 much smaller islands; Charge Island, Coloney Island and Happiness Island. Charge Island and Coloney island have little on them, they mainly link the bridges to the main islands. Happiness island, however, is resembled on Liberty island with the Statue of Happiness (Statue of Liberty).

There are many sight seeing spots in the city such as the Rotterdam Tower which is based on the Empire state building, Statue of Happiness, the GetaLife building which is the MetLife building and more such as; Middle Park (Central Park), Star Junction (Times Square), The Triangle Building (Flatiron Building), The Screamer Roller Coaster (Coney Island Cyclone) and the Zirconium Building (The Chrysler building)

Graphics - 9/10
There's no problems with the graphics, the city is absolutely stunning. There is so much attention to detail throughout the city on every street and every building.

Sound affects - 9/10
The guns and explosions this time around are fantastic. They sound so realistic and are a huge improvement from previous GTA games.

Radio - 2/10
Phwoar.... the music really sucks on this game. In San Andreas I felt spoiled by the quality of music on nearly every radio station, from rap to rock. But in IV every station has incredibly strange music that nobody has heard of! When looking through the radio stations in the manual I only recognised 3 or 4 songs.

Missions - 7/10
Again, I feel that this aspect of the game has also been taken down a notch. The missions for a large portion of the game seem very repetitive. There are a few cracking missions which I thoroughly enjoyed but the majority bored me quite quickly.

The Story - 7/10
The story is pretty decent. I wont spoil it for you but it's not really our typical rags to riches story... its more rags to better rags whilst getting revenge along the way.

Driving - 8/10
Once you get used to it the driving is really good and seems very realistic. But for me it was quite a steep learning curve as it is very different from previous GTA games.

Fire Power - 6/10
The guns are still pretty much the same as always. No additions, in fact they actually took out weapons such as the chainsaw, katana and others for a more realistic experience. In my opinion, that's not such a good thing.

Multiplayer - 9/10
The first GTA with an online multiplayer experience, and it's a good one. You have many different modes to play in which all earn you money. The more money you get the more ranks you achieve. There are ranks 1-10. Getting to rank 4 is pretty easy but advancing from there takes some time.

Replay Value - 8/10
Once you beat the missions there is a lot to do. You could go for 100% completion by doing various side missions and other minor tasks. Or, you could simply play through again. Playing through the second time always seems better for me. If none of that floats your boat play online or explore the city, who knows what you might find.

Final Verdict
This is another great addition to the GTA family. But I can't help feel this game had so much more potential. If you're a fan of the series it's a must have. If not you should rent it first, but you'll probably end up buying it. Despite it's flaws, it's a very fun game to play and worth every penny.

~ flowaz

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/16/08

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV (EU, 04/29/08)