Review by Sasuke4321

"A short game, but fun all the way through"

Star wars the force unleashed is a game that takes place between episode III and episode IV, a link between the two, about Vader's secret apprentice and his journey through the galaxy.

The force unleashed starts off as Vader, in a tutorial of mass Wookie-cide, when you find a Jedi's son with immense force power. Several years later, you are fully trained, and ready to assassinate all of Vader's enemies in secret; making sure the emperor doesn't find out about it. For the most part, the plot stays canon, except for a certain point at the end, although it stays true to Star Wars' writing "use the force" "Don't cave into the dark side" etc... etc...

Level design: 5/10

Although at first, the levels seem creative, and long (To get everything in a level, it usually took me at least an hour in hard mode) but after about the halfway point in the game, the designers re-use level styles slightly altering the level design. Sometimes, they can be confusing and full of traps, and often, you get caught between a rock, and a space leaf. (Yes, a bad pun I know)

Game play: 9/10

This game plays as if you were really in a Star Wars movie, hack slash, choke, repeat. It's incredibly fun, for the most part. There are a few moves that are tricky to pull off, but when you do, you can use a special cinematic camera which shows you exactly what happens to the person you killed in a zoom motion. There are a few things you wish you had more control over, like the force grab, which just makes the enemy float in a circle, I found myself really wishing I could move limbs around individually, however, the physics are fantastic, and almost everything in the environment is destroyable, which makes slashing a tree in half with your light saber seem incredibly real. There are some great reaction command style finishing moves for big enemies, and some fun abilities, like force lightning. However, the loading time for levels, and customization screens can take a long time, up to several minutes at points.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the characters in cut scenes were the Resistance facial designs. The same style is there, but it's also very dark and brooding, showing the dark side of the force in full blast. The voice acting is great, and the movements are smooth and fluid, with the exception of some lag when there are large amounts of enemies and you're slashing through one lightning fast.

It's pretty hard to improve upon a Star Wars' game soundtrack, with all the original songs packed in their, and some new level songs, I think it works almost perfectly. Although a few more additions would have been nice, but like I said, it's hard to beat a classic.

Replay Value: 8/10

There are dozens of collectibles around the Force Unleashed universe, often hiding in corners, or nearly impossible to reach cliffs, adding more and more time to the game with each one. The upgrades can be anything from a light saber color, to experience points, to costumes. Although there are codes to unlock these, which shorten the replay value, although they disable the ability to save, so be careful. The leveling system makes it so you have to go through the levels a few times to get all the possible stat-ups, which range from more force power, to the ability to pick multiple things up, or the range of your lightning attack. There are training missions which are fun to do, although at a point they get repetitive. Bosses; are all different and each time you need a new strategy to defeat them, and I find that re-fighting them is incredibly fun, especially watching the end-fight cinemas.

Bugs: 6/10

This game is great, but it has quite a few bugs, jumping near the border of a level, often ends up with you getting stuck, I've had it freeze on me mid fight several times and once fell through the floor during a cut scene. Although these bugs are annoying, there is the constant auto-save which counters most of the data loss, but because of the long loading screens, reloading can be tedious and time consuming.

Controls: 8/10

The controls of this game, are fairly smooth, however there are a few glitches, occasionally the controls go numb, (on me, this could be my controller) But the design of the controls works perfectly for the PS3, it's smooth and easy to connect. It really makes it feel more real.

As far as Star Wars games go, this is a good one, but after a while, it gets bland just hacking and slashing. There are lots of collectibles to hunt down, giving it quite a large replay value, but often it bugs and freezes halfway through a level, although the frequent auto-save counters this feature easily. If you're a first time Star Wars gamer, then it's near perfection, but after a few games, the same hack 'n' slash style gets a little old.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/02/08

Game Release: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (US, 09/16/08)