Review by Arkyne

"GRAW is finally on the PS3!"

Introduction

I must admit, I loved Ghost Recon 1 when it first came out. Insanely difficult, but extremely fun to play. I really appreciated all the realistic aspects of the game. I also watched it changed and become less realistic and difficult with further iterations (similar to Rainbow 6 and Splinter Cell). Now that GRAW 2 is on the scene, here's my opinion of it (without trying to bore you too much :).

Graphics 8/10

They're very good. Similar to the 360 version in almost every way except for some bland or lo-res textures and some jagged lines (particularly when in vehicles). The one really big plus, in my opinion, of the PS3 version, is the reduced amount of bloom effects and lighting. I find it's far too saturated on the 360, which I think actually takes away from the realism.

As for realism, The graphics look pretty darn real if you don't nit-pick too much, and if you don't go around getting close looks at people faces. Although, enemies still move kinda weird...

Sound 8/10

Everything sounds A-OK. The weapons sound, what I imagine to be, pretty realistic (though I've never heard an M8 fired). I like the dramatic music that cues up when you're about to enter in to a fire fight. It does kind of give you warning of what's about to happen, but it provides great atmosphere.

Control 6/10

I think the controls aren't as crisp as they should be. Moving the player around feel sluggish and not very responsive. The Sixaxis integration is OK, though not phenomenal. Using it for rolling works best, but stance changing doesn't work well, and the diving/sliding equally so. It's on the right track tho.

Gameplay 8/10

Pretty darn good. It's fun as heck, but it's still a far cry from the original. But I guess times change. If you've played GRAW1, then get ready to see more of the same type of action. That doesn't mean it's any less fun, though. If you're new to the series, then you'll love the action and all the things that go boom. The learning curve is moderate, but once you get used to using your cross-comm, your thumbs will be dancing across the controller fast than Data could.

Multiplayer 8/10

Fun as GR has always been. It seems slower paced than in previous entries, but this is a good thing which kind of encourages tactical work, especially if you got used to GR2.

I like the customization. There's A LOT to tack on your player. If you have saves from Rainbow 6 Vegas or Double Agent, then you'll get a couple of special head gears.

Setting up online games is easy enough. Go through your typical options, choose camo for the teams, and you're good to go. Expect heavy lag if the server is garbage tho. it's annoying like nobody's business.

Conclusion

Buy it. I got a good deal on it, and I'm glad I got it cuz the single player has plenty to keep me entertained and the Multiplayer is fun like heck.

See you online

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (US, 08/23/07)