Review by Dawglet

"LittleBigPlanet... it's a Bucket load of fun"

LittleBigPlanet is without a doubt one of the most mind-blowing games of 2008. LittleBigPlanet is a 2D platformer (2.5D if you want to be accurate I suppose) made by Media Molecule exclusive to the PS3. One of the game's most important features is of course player created custom levels. The create feature offers a massive selection of level parts to create anything your mind can imagine.

The story mode in LittleBigPlanet isn't much as a standalone game but gives inspiration for players looking for some ideas and has some fantastic level design. You'll roam through various themed levels collecting objects, stickers, decorations and costumes parts. Although LBP is a 2D platformer it's not much as a classic platformer because the controls can be a bit floaty and not as accurate or precise as old school platforming games. It also includes three 2D layers for platforming on which helps mix the gameplay up a little and add some variety. Some people may say Sackboy switches from layer to layer unintentionally but this is usually the fault of bad level design rather than the game itself. Defeating Enemies is simply jumping on or touching the purple button located on the creature. With bosses this might be a bit more challenging because you'll have to hit multiple buttons or switches and possibly have to dodge explosives being hurled at you or avoid a sumo wrestler's foot from squashing you into nothing.

The game also has a bunch of multiplayer options added into it and allows 4-players to play simultaneously locally or online. The great thing about LBP's multiplayer is that it's very accessible and it allows friends to jump in and have some quick fun. Grabbing a few friends and digging through the massive piles of user created content allows endless hours of entertainment. The rating system makes it pretty simple to find good levels but the main page doesn't change very frequently and can often be cluttered by trophy levels. There are a lot of ingenious levels though and you're guaranteed to find something that will make your jaw drop with levels such as a working in game calculator or a Gradius themed level that allows you to maneuver a sticker and fire at other ships. All in all, the online mode on LittleBigPlanet is a bucket load of fun and provides a lot of replay value.

Moving on to the create mode, this is the part of the game that you may end up sinking a ton of time into if you're creative enough. You can make a lot of different levels with the level editor and it's not too difficult to get an understanding of how everything works. If you plan on making a level though be prepared to sink some time into making it because it's no easy task to make a GOOD level. If you're creative enough it might be very enjoyable getting to see your creations come alive and letting other people play them. I enjoyed my time making levels but after finishing one I didn't have much of a desire to start making another after seeing all the time I lost and that it only got 150 plays. Okay, maybe I'm not much of a level creator myself but I can understand why some people will keep coming back to this feature if they're skilled enough at making levels and if it's enjoyable to them.

In addition to creating levels you can also customize Sackboy and dress him up as silly things if you're into that kind of stuff. I've actually seen people make a lot of neat things using stickers and decorations to make things like a Mega man, Mario and Spiderman Sackboy… but don't even think about making a level based on something like that or it'll be deleted in a heartbeat. The PlayStation Store has been releasing a lot of costumes as download content so there's always something new to humiliate your Sackboy with. Some of costumes are free but most of the costumes you'll have to pay for. On the topic of Download content I'd like to say the Metal Gear Solid pack is a great addition and the Paintinator (It's a gun that shoots paint) adds a lot of new possibilities for making levels.

There are a lot of things to be done in LittleBigPlanet and even if the Create mode isn't your thing there's still a lot of fun to be had here. If you think you won't enjoy creating levels I recommend at least renting it. If you enjoy platforming games and have some creativity this is without a doubt a must buy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/17/09

Game Release: LittleBigPlanet (US, 10/27/08)