Review by neonreaper

"I just didn't like how the controls felt in this game."

Little Big Planet is a nifty little game for the PS3. You play as Sack Boy, a canvas and zipper fellow in a diorama based platforming environment. Sack Boy can jump and grab and express himself, and interact with objects in the levels to get by obstacles or simulate the destruction of some enemy. This platforming game is fairly bland on it's own, but it allows multiplayer action and more important, level creation and the sharing of user content.

The level editor is fairly easy to use, and as you progress in the short and unexciting single player mode, you unlock more things you can use in your level design. I'm not a big fan of how this works out but the single player does help you figure out some tricks and inspire you to find some ways to make things work better.

Finding other places to play wasn't really implemented as well as it could have been, but I was able to get into some Mario Bros. and Sonic styled levels without too much issue. I preferred the non-ripoff levels myself.. as fun as it might be to make a Mario level, playing in such throwback levels gets old very quickly, especially when most really weren't updated to really be a LBP level. It didn't matter much, as Sony took down levels left and right, even levels that had nothing to do with anything. I had been in the process of making a level based on a few MLB stadiums, with the object people to get through some fun obstacles based on the history of the team in each stadium, but knowing that it would be removed killed the thrill for me. I had also made my own level with no inspiration beyond trying to make a cool LBP planet, but it really just fit into the murky world of other average LBP levels. I think having to worry that deletions didn't even have to make sense ruined my desire to keep at it.

While Sack Boy is a pretty fun little guy and all the ways you can change his appearance really add to the easy fun of the game, I think he controls quite poorly. The physics in the game are a bit floaty, which is fine, except for how imprecise it makes Sack Boy feel. It's really not that fun to control him at the end of the day, regardless of how neat the levels are - you need constant new LBP gameplay elements to distract you from the controls.

Multiplayer was OK locally. It's fine and I can see why some people love it so much. Online multiplayer isn't nearly as good - I don't think there's much of an excuse to make everyone be on the same screen or die, and the zoom out stuff is aggravating.

I can see why other people love Little Big Planet, but some of the little details and the way the controls feel just turned me off of the game early on. It really is something different in today's gaming landscape, so I do recommend checking it out to anyone with a PS3. I just didn't enjoy it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/27/09

Game Release: LittleBigPlanet (US, 10/27/08)